Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - Frian (platonic, angst)

Start from the beginning

-

When the Irishman returned, he let the dad and his baby inside, letting a soft sigh out.

Brian screwed up the courage to say casualties, "how are you, then? Feeling all right?" 

"Yeah, I'm all right. Doing whatever I can to be around here for him." Jim said seriously.

After a minute of talking, Brian headed upstairs, not once letting Emily out of his arms.

--

The curly-haired man hesitated at the bedroom door, though Emily jumped down from his arms  to the bed, striking alarm in the guitarist. "Em, wait. I wasn't ready." 

The toddler pointed at the ill man, "but Freddie here! We visiting him!" She said smartly.

"You are very clever, Emily! I like your hairstyle, too! Did your Daddy do it?" Freddie smiled and spoke in a soft tone.

Emily shook her head, "Louisa did! Before.. Before.. school!"

-

"Well, it's very pretty! You should tell her she's quite good at that. Would you like to sit next to me?" The singer asked. 

"Yes, please!" Emily happily climbed onto the big bed, Brian sitting in a chair nearby.

"Brian, dear, are you okay?" Freddie asked worriedly, Emily repeating the sentence exactly.

The singer had noticed how spaced out the guitarist was, though he had a feeling he knew why. 

-

"Daddy's name is Brian? Or Brian, dear?" Emily asked curiously, making both men laugh. 

"My name is Brian. Freddie calls a lot of people 'dear' and 'darling.' It's like a nickname." 

After a moment of silence, Brian spoke up, "Fred, I need to talk to you about something.. But I don't want Emily to hear." 

"Okay, just a minute." Freddie said and got out of bed, attempting to pick Emily up.

-

Unfortunately, even a healthy toddler was too heavy for him to carry. So he went and got Jim, struggling a little to walk. 

Freddie and Jim entered the room again, the latter taking Emily's hand. "Would like to see some kitties? We have about five or six." 

Emily nodded and went with the man, enjoying seeing the various cats as they walked downstairs to the other room.

Of course, they stopped along the way to stroke each and every one feline.

-

"That's nice of Jim," Brian stalled, but Freddie gave him a tender look that made him realise he had to face the truth.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" Freddie spoke quietly but sincerely.

"Feelings, feelings." Brian stopped to think about how to say what he wanted to. The singer waited patiently, either way.

"Like what, dear?"

"Like about how worried I am. And depressed." He moved onto the bed.

-

The guitarist interrupted his friend before he could reply, "but I guess that's selfish of me, isn't it?" 

As soon as he could, Freddie reassured the other musician. "That's not selfish to let your feelings out. If you keep them bottled up, they.. Well, explode, eventually." 

The awkwardness in the room lingered, neither mentioning the fatal illness that was inevitable. At least, not mentioned for a few minutes.

"I don't wanna lose you, Fred. I'm already going to lose my Dad, and I constantly worry about losing my kids." 

-

Freddie could see Brian was starting to lose control of his thoughts, negative ones clearly flooding his mind. The oldest was always in tune with others' emotions.

So he did the only thing he thought would help: an embrace. Freddie didn't let go, instead letting his friend decide when to pull away. That wasn't for a whole two minutes.

"Look at me, Brian. Look." The singer gently instructed, placing his hand on Brian's shoulder.

The man looked over and met the warm brown eyes staring at him. Hazel eyes filled with tears.

-

"I want you to know that you'll be fine." Freddie paused, "even when it seems like your world is crashing down." 

Although it was a little hard for him to believe the words, Brian nodded and looked more like he was paying attention to the conversation rather than feelings.

"Yeah, I just feel so sad.. so bad." Brian started to frown again.

"You don't have to talk about this if you don't want, but what about when you're.. Gone?" 

The singer sighed gently as he thought up some answer. "You'll get through it. You're very strong. And I have a plan. But I can't tell you, sorry." 

-

"That's fine. But I feel like I can't sleep lately, and then I'm with Emily a lot, but she can't see me upset, because..." He started to cry.

The former frontman was quick to go back to hugging his friend, seeing how it helped, "she can see you upset, because that's how people work. She'll know it's normal and okay to cry." 

That seemed to soothe the curly-haired musician, but something in his eyes looked deeply unhappy.

"And I'll always be with you, in music, or maybe you'll feel my presence." 

-

Brian stopped looking sad, but rather puzzled as to how at peace his friend was with life's sometimes harsh plans.

"You will..? All right.." He got up and stretched a bit, thanking Freddie and saying that he'd see him soon. Then, Brian went over and looked at Emily and Jim.

They looked like they were having fun talking about cats, and he didn't want to take that joy away from his daughter.

"Daddy! The kitties are cheeky!" Emily laughed, making Jim and her father smile.

-

"I bet they are. But we have to go home now. Do you want to say bye-bye to Fred?" The dad asked quietly but more calmly.

"Yes, Daddy!" Emily said and she ran into the main bedroom, remembering exactly where it was. 

Brian almost followed, but he wasn't worried about her getting lost, weirdly enough.

Emily gave Freddie a big and long hug, but she also was sleepy, and didn't try to fight it. The toddler fell asleep within a minute.

-

The singer gently ran his hand through her soft hair, feeling a little sad that he wouldn't be here much longer for these types of moments. 

Though Freddie never shared those feelings out loud, since he had learnt to be tough by going to boarding school at 7-years-old. He would cry himself to sleep a lot.

After a minute, Brian walked back in since she didn't return, and his heart nearly broke again. Carefully, he lifted his child and carried her to the car, but he didn't want to leave.

"Bye, Fred. I'll visit soon," Brian had whispered before they went outside. A whole heap of worry still pushed down on his chest.

·--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------·

Word count: 1,542