“Sorry to frighten you Aurora. Your aunt said I might find you out here.”

Surprising even myself I threw my arms around his neck in a tight hug.

  “My god Devon! You scared the crap out of me,” I exclaimed.

“Sorry,” he said again as he lightly held me. Clearing my throat I released him and took a step back.

  “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” I lied quickly. My emotions were everything but fine right now. First the unexplained figure and now Devon? He could have just waited for me back at the house. “Did you, see anything on your way out here?” I chanced asking slowly. I really didn’t need people thinking I was insane or something.

  At first I could have sworn I saw a few different emotions on Devon’s face before he relaxed into a tranquil expression. He sort of looked shocked, angry, worried and then, I could be mistaking this one, sad.

  “I didn’t see anything. We should probably be headed back to the house now,” he changed the subject quickly.

      His eyes looked out of focus as we walked back. Whatever he was thinking about seemed to bother him. His face wore a frown and his brows were scrunched together, making worry lines on his forehead.

 “Why didn’t you just wait for me at the house?” I asked, breaking his concentration.

“I just wanted to make sure you were okay.” I couldn’t tell if what he said was a lie versus the truth. His face looked sincere enough.

  I couldn’t help but think about his tone though. Like he knew that something was in the forest. Like he expected me to run into it. Truly the most frightening thing in the forest today was Devon himself. He was the last thing I thought I would see.

      As we sat at the island in the middle of the kitchen, he looked, well stared was more accurate, at me. Probably to make sure I was truly fine.

A thought struck me. His eyes looked almost exactly the same as the mans that I had seen at the pond that night. His were more diluted with brown. Murky kind of.

  As if he read my mind, he looked away.

“So what did you come here for anyway?”

  “Honestly?” He sighed, “I’m not really sure. I was sort of, on my way here before I even realized what I was planning to do.”

“Oh,” was all I could get out.

      After a few moments of silence he looked up again. “So did you want to go somewhere?”

“I guess. It beats sitting here all day.”

  He turned and started for the door. When his hand was on the handle I stopped, remembering something. “I’ll be right back,” I told Devon.

I ran up to my room and went to the small desk. I’d forgotten to put the journal away last night. Don’t want anyone finding this just yet, I thought to myself as I placed it back in its hide away.

  “Ready?” Devon asked. Nodding my head we walked out to his car.

It was a shiny red Nissan 350Z. “Nice,” I noted in approval.

  I never spent much time with my dad, but when we were together, we talked about cars.

  Devon smiled at my comment and opened the passenger side door for me and then walked to get in the driver side.

      Instead of turning the way towards town, he turned right and headed out of town.

  After a while the curiosity got the best of me and I asked, “Where are we going?”