XXI

A few months had passed and the situation hadn't changed, but more risk had come to light. A risk that Y/n could not find herself taking. 

She left the brick building hastily. "Not a word about this Nico, please. Chris can never know about this." She repeated the words once more for her bodyguard to listen. 

The older man closed his eyes with a sigh. "You know I'd never. Why ask?"

Y/n searched his still unreadable face. "Precaution." She got in the car passenger side while he dipped into the drivers side. 

"Could you please take me to Melanie's apartment, she wants to hang out." 

Nico did as asked, but not without complaint. Soon enough she was sitting comfortably on Mel's green couch. She was surrounded by green plants that transformed the lofty area into a warm natural space. Nico sat with his legs cross in the separate matching recliner. 

"Y/n, not that I don't love Nico, but does he have to come with you every time?" Melanie sat the tray of store bought cookies and tea on the table. "He makes my plants sad."

"Oi brat, I'm still in the room." Nico mumbled with glares to the pink haired woman. 

"Exactly." She fired back with her own glare. 

Even after they had finished college she didn't tell her best friend what she did for a living. Y/n had let people know that Nico was her bodyguard, but hadn't told them the reason why. They couldn't say they didn't ask. 

"Enough you two, I came to have a chat with my friend, Nico, you can leave if you'd like." She turned to the man frowning in the chair. "Please Nic?" 

With a roll of his eyes he got up. "Your plants are shitty." He took the cup of tea on the way out the apartment. "And there goes another teacup." Mel pursed her lips as the door slammed. 

Y/n giggled and pulled her friends attention back to her. "How have you been Mel, I haven't seen you in like months."

"I know, you've been too busy fucking your sugar daddy husband that I still have no clue as to how he makes his money, because a lawyer doesn't make as much as you guys do." She laughed. "You part of the mafia or something?" Mel looked at her with a smirk. 

Theres no possible way she could know that. Y/n playfully shoved her. "Oh like you haven't kept your new boo a secret, can I at least know her name?" 

"Ah ah ah, we're not official yet to be honest and you know how superstitious I get about those things. If I tell you her name everything will go to shit. Besides she's out of town you won't meet her anytime soon." She took a piece of sugar cookie from the tray.

Rolling her eyes Y/n grabbed a cookie as well. "And they're just that, superstitions." She took a bite.

"What about you?" Melanie retorted. "I've never known a lawyers wife to need a bodyguard." 

Y/n shrugged with pursed lips. "You're right, but I'm a bit of a special circumstance."

Melanie let it go and took the topic somewhere else. "Whatcha been doing today?"

"Umm well- I had to make a stop to the doctors this morning, but other than that I just came to visit you." 

"The doctors? Are you okay?" Melanie's face scrunched up. 

Y/n shook her head. "Just a routine check up." 

"Good, I can't be losing my best friend." She giggled.

Y/n laughed along with her. She was going to tell her why she needed Nico and how Chris and her acquired so much money, but when she went to speak her words died at the tip of her tongue. This happened every time. She wouldn't have to worry about it much longer, she would fully be settled into her new CEO position over Evns Creations soon. Then and only then would she explain her life with Chris to her family and Melanie.