being alone with his thoughts wasn't ideal either. there were so many questions that raced through his mind and lydia occupied most of them. he thought he wanted to be with nancy, but after his kiss with lydia he felt completely different. the way that he felt when he kissed her was so much more than anything that he felt when he kissed nancy. although the timing was awful -and he kicked himself in the ass for it afterward because he just did it to help get her mind off everything and he didn't know what to say but it was still stupid- it sparked something inside him. she kissed him back. the feeling of her lips on his was like pure bliss and he didn't know that he needed it until it happened. it was like he was waiting for that moment his whole life; like an unknown weight was lifted off his shoulders and was replaced with pure bliss.

the front door opening snapped him out of his trance and he looked up and saw lydia for the first time since they kissed. her eyes were slightly puffy and red; she had been crying. her hair was messy but it still looked perfect. she wore an oversized green jacket and a fitted striped tee and jeans. it was a simple outfit. she looks the same as she did every day. but she was still the most beautiful girl in the world to steve.

"steve? why are you here?" she tried to hide her face, probably because she just finished crying.

"what do you mean, didn't dustin tell you?"

"ohhhh, that's what i forgot."

"DUSTIN!" the two exclaimed.

~

steve and lydia stood next to each other awkwardly. they both stared at dustin in silence as he gathered their gear from steve's trunk. when he turned around to face them he paused.

"what's going on here?" he used one of his free index fingers to gesture to the space between them. "you guys are never this far apart or quiet together. you're like annoying magnets."

"nothing is going on." they said in unison.

"okay great so something is definitely going on," dustin concluded. "i don't wanna pry because frankly, we have more pressing matters to tend to like the literal monster in our cellar. but if this gets in the way of our mission i'm gonna be real pissed." he warned the teens before giving them flashlights and their weapons.

as the three stood in front of the rusty doors of the storm cellar, they gripped their weapons with unease. lydia took a deep breath and reached for the handle, ready to greet the demogorgan inside.

"woah woah woah, what are you doing?" steve grabbed her wrist, stopping her before she was able to open the door. lydia looked at her friend with a deadpanned expression and rolled her eyes.

"i'm reaching for this door handle just to hold it what does it look like i'm doing harrington?" dustin chuckled behind them but quickly shut up after he saw the glare from his sister.

"you're not opening this door, what if it tries to attack you?" steve's grip on her wrist was gentle but firm, like he was afraid she would slip away from him.

"fine, would you like to do the honors?" she gave in. lydia was actually relieved she didn't have to do it. the idea of coming face to face with that creature again made her blood run cold. one close encounter was enough for this lifetime.

the heavy doors creaked open and the three were greeted with an eerie silence. dustin's shaky hands attempted to illuminate the cellar but it just lead to steve taking the flashlight.

"he must be further down there," the younger henderson suggested. "i'll stay up here incase he tries to escape." he suggested in a shaky tone, earning him a glare from steve and lydia.

the two teenagers began their descent with steven in front and lydia right behind him. their weapons were gripped tight in one hand with flashlights in the other as they carefully surveyed the dark room. with shallow breaths lydia turned on the light and took a few steps backward to ensure they wouldn't get attacked from behind. however, her shoe was met with something slimy causing her to slip and fall in a very ungraceful fashion.

"fuck!" she yelped as she thudded to the ground.

"lydia! what's wrong are you okay? what's happening?" dustin's voice echoed with concern which made her chuckle a little.

"shit, lyds you okay?" steve was quick to help her up, but his expression changed when he saw what she slipped on. using his bat, he lifted up something that resembled a giant slimy booger that came out of a toddler's nose.

"steve," lydia pointed her flashlight to the corner where cinderblocks were missing and a tunnel had been made. "he got out."

A/N: i didn't proofread this sorry if it's ass i'll edit it later. i'm gonna try and update more frequently! but thank you to everyone to comments on my chapters it's really fun reading them :)) also happy new year!