Reasons

"Why do you want to be a Hunter?"
Kurapika nods. "Ya, if it was just for money, you would've dropped out by now." Leorio scoffs. "It is for money." Kurapika sighs. "I've seen people over run by money and greed. You are nothing like them." Leorio continues. "Money can buy anything! Even a life!" Kurapika narrows his eyes. "You better not be insulting my clan again." Leorio shakes his head. "If I had the money, my friend wouldn't have died!" Kurapika's eyes widen. I look away. I feel bad for digging something up that is so important to him....

     Kurapika focuses on the ground. "Illness." Kurapika mumbles, confirming our shared thoughts.  Leorio narrows his eyes, As if trying not to cry. "It was treatable too. But the operation cost too much money. I had the stupid idea that, if I became a doctor, I could save him. But it turns out that even that cost money! Too much money.... I didn't have enough to make it through school. I had this crazy idea that I could help people like my dear friend. And tell them it didn't cost anything! As a hunter, I'll be able to do just that!" Our heads hang low. Each of us feeling such pain. Even me. Kurapika mumbles out. "Scarlet eyes..." I look at him. "Huh?" He looks up, with a stronger voice he speaks again. "Scarlet eyes. The reason my clan was killed. My clan was known for their scarlet eyes. Thought to be the second most beautiful thing in the world. They were sought after by many. My clan, the Kurta clan, was murdered for their eyes. Each eye dug out from their corpses. I will return my brethren's eyes!" I fidget a little. "Sorry for bringing up those memories." Leorio smiles. "No problem, kid! Don't feel bad. It's great to get that stuff off your chest sometimes!" I smile slightly. "Then to make it up, I'll tell you guys a little about me. I'm warning you. I'm not comfortable saying everything yet." I smile. "How about I tell you about where I come from?" Kurapika smiles. "Only if you want to." I nod. Smiling I think of the place I'm from. "I'm from a clan. They are called the clan of the dragon. We were said to have descended from the mythical dragons themselves! We were pretty closed off for the same reason. Not a lot of people liked the fact we were so different. But my clan was beautiful. We barely had conflict. We are just one, big, happy, family." I grin. "I love it there." Kurapika smiles softly. "Sounds beautiful." Leorio nods. "Ya, maybe sometime we can visit!" My eyes go sad. "Maybe.." I suddenly perk up as I see a light. "Cool! We're near the exit!" That is suddenly crushed as we find stairs. "Wow. Just... wow." Leorio groans. "Really?!" I giggle a little as we run in a comfortable silence. Upon reaching the exit, I run to the examiner. "Are we almost done?" He shakes his head. Then speaks, with no mouth. "No, I'm afraid not. We still have much to go." I tilt my head. "You don't have a mouth. It's like your talking through your mustache." I giggle at the thought. "Bye bye, examiner." I run back to Gon and Killua. "Hi Gon, hi Fluffy." He glares. "I'm not fluffy!" I giggle. "Examiner says we still have to run." Gon nods. "Yep! This is gonna be fun!" I grin at him. He grins back. Soon we here the examiner. "We've reached the last part to the first phase. It will not be easy. The land you see here is known as swindlers swamp. The creatures here are known to trick many. Stay close and don't let them fool you." I smile happily. Then we here a weak voice. "Don't let him fool you!" I can immediately tell he's a fake. I sigh. That's the wrong timing. Everyone looks at him. "I'm the real examiner!"