Black, White, and Somewhere In Between

I knew colors. The way they mixed to create other colors, like creating a new beginning. The way you could have multiple versions of purple and blue and pink. Purple and blue were two colors I knew very well. I noticed something in my 2 years of highschool and that's as soon as people find their own colors, they start mixing. I'm not saying I'm some awkward stalker that watches all the couples in school, but when you're especially quiet, you start noticing things. I remember my first day of freshman year, the way girls who'd had nothing to do with relationships were shoving their tongues down random boys throats. And while everyone was out partying and slutting off, I was sitting at home studying for hours upon hours to keep up my good grades. 

I had never done anything remotely "cool". The other girls had boyfriends, and drank and smoked and partied, but that wasn't my version of preparation for college. My version was sitting at home, waiting for the day someone like me would come along and study with me and maybe go on walks in the park or something. I was waiting for the day a normal boy came along and changed everything for me, and maybe saw me the way I was instead of the little smart girl. It'd never happen so I don't know what I'm doing by wasting my time talking about it. 

There was a lot I thought about while driving, I just never knew why. It's like driving woke up the part of my brain that actually made the least bit of sense. I was book smart, that wasn't capable of being doubted, but I never thought I was as intellectual as I was when I was driving. The red stop light pulled my car to a halt. I pinched the bridge of my nose, closing my eyes, waiting for the light to turn green. The rain pounded on my windows. I loved seeing Manhattan when it rained. Everything looked like good photography material and that's what I spent my free time doing. It wasn't like I had a lot of free time considering that I was a study nerd who would rather sit on a bed and study for 6 hours than go hang out with friends. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't awkward, and I didn't just not have friends. I have a few friends, but I learned in high school that there wasn't a good chance of real trust in friendships, so I was careful who to tell what. I was scared of what people would do for a long time. And I was an outgoing teenager, but when I turned 18, it stopped being that way. I stopped going to football games, and ended up not going to prom. I dropped out of cheerleading, and started focusing more on school and being more mature. People started asking me what was wrong and I slowly just quit talking to people all together. 

I got to my dorm room and saw Sadie laying on her bed passed out. Sadie Forman was the best roomate I could've asked for and she was one of the only people I actually knew here at college. She was a party girl, but she stayed quiet and came home at good times. She was a good student and we studied together once a week at a coffee shop down the road from our dorm. I sat down on my bed and thanked God that tomorrow was Saturday, and was kind of surprised Sadie wasn't out and about making out with random guys. I closed my eyes and listened to my heart beating repeatedly. 

"Wake up weirdo." Sadie's pillow hit my head and I squinted my eyes looking into the rays of sun coming from the open window. I huffed, sitting up. The pillow launched from my hand knocking her on her bed. 

"Ouch! Someone's grouchy." She laughed, making her way from behind her bed into the kitchen.

"Why'd you wake me up?" I moaned.

"Because I have some friends coming over for a little bit so I wanted to warn you." She stood in the door way with cereal in one hand and milk in the other. 

"Oh, okay. Do you want me to leave... Or?" I rubbed my eyes, waiting for her response. 

"No, you should meet them considering you are the most introverted human being ever." She rolled her eyes coming back in with a bowl of what appeared to be cereal and a spoon. 

"Are you being sarcastic?" I returned the eye rolling gesture.

"In a way, but I do think you should meet them." She sat on her bed, eating her cereal and staring off into the distance. 

"Ugh okay, but I'm taking first shower." I stood, getting a towel out of the closet. 

"I already took one earlier, go ahead." Sadie replied through a mouthful of cereal. I realized she was already dressed in denim shorts and a Rolling Stones t-shirt. She was in full makeup and her hair was in natural waves. I made my way to the bathroom, slinging the towel over the curtain pole. 

After taking a 15 minute shower, I got dressed in some denim, skinny capris, and a AC-DC crop top I had since high school. I was still into the rock music, just not the rock way of life. I got to the bedroom, and Sadie was sitting in the exact same mindless position. I threw on a little makeup. 

"What time are your friends coming over?" I smiled at her, towel drying my hair. I was trying to be supportive of her friend choice. 

"In about," Three boys came walking through the door, "Right now." She smiled devilishly. As much as I hated to admit it, they all sparked my interest.  

"Well, well, this is the cute roomate we've heard about all year?" A boy with blonde hair and piercing blue eyes smiled. I smiled, looking down.

"Ew, no flirting. That's Lächeln." Sadie smiled, playfully punching his muscular arm. I could see them being siblings. 

"Läche, that's Shane, the blondie, Dylan, the tall one, and Caylen, the one on the right." She pointed.

"Hi guys, I'd love to stay, but I'm going to get coffee." I was already at the door when someone was standing behind me.

"Can I go with you?" Shane smirked.

"Um, I guess." I looked back at Sadie, but she was talking to Dylan and Caylen. 

We walked out to the front of the dormatory in awkward silence. I got to the drivers side of my car, and unlocked it. Shane got in, and I started the engine.

"Haha." I laughed under my breath.

"Why ya laughing?" Shane smiled.

"Because you could be a serial killer for all I know, and I'm taking you to get coffee." I laughed even harder and the cutest smile appeared on his face. 

"I won't kill you, babe. Not today anyways." He winked. My eyes went wide.

"I'm kidding, calm down." He laughed, screwing with the radio pegs. 

"So what do you listen to?" I leaned back, driving down the road.

"Eh, rock, pop, rap, club music, just not country. Holy shit. It's terrible." He had a look of disgust on his face.

"Yes, because when I look at you, I pin you as a country person." I laughed really hard in harmony with Shane. 

"Yeah, what about you?" His eyes were on my face, but mine were on the road.

"Indie." I blushed. Why was I blushing, what the hell?

"Sing me something Indie." He challenged.

"Um, no, I don't sing." I choked.

"Come on, I'll sing you something, anything you want." It was stressful, singing in front of people. 

"Um, I don't know." I huffed.

"Come on." He poked my cheek, making me blush again. 

"Ugh." I sighed. I opened my mouth. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aye. Cliff hangerish? Kinda, well anyways. COMMENT LIKE AND SHARE THANKS BABES.