1: The Voice

I sat perched on my broom, shivering in front of the goalposts. My eyes flicked from player to player as the quaffle was carried to the other end of the pitch when my eyes suddenly flicked to the stands.

"Go, Lysander! You can do it! You can win!" Lily Potter cheered at me.

I smiled at her and looked back up. A Ravenclaw chaser flew towards the goal furthest from me, so I flew as fast as I could. The chaser threw the quaffle. It was going to go through. I wasn't going to make it. So, I did the dumbest thing my ADHD brain came up with.

I unbuckled my shoes from the harness that held me to the broom and braced my hand in the center with my right hand. Then, I came to a stop. Because I unfastened my braces, I flew forward through the air, but I grasped tightly to my broom. I grabbed onto the quaffle and hugged it close to my chest. Then, I saw Bailey Macmillan fly past me after something.

Seconds later, Scorpius announced.

"Bailey Macmillan has caught the Snitch! Hufflepuff wins!"

I was still hanging by one hand in midair as I tossed the quaffle to Bailey. Then, I pulled myself back onto my broom and flew off the pitch. When my feet touched the ground, I barely had time to put my broom up before Lily came barreling up to me.

She wrapped her arms around my neck, which made me go beetroot. My brother walked up to me. Lily let go of me.

"Lysander. What came over you out there?" he asked me.

I shook my head, "I don't know, Lorc. My brain told me to do it, so I did."

Lorcan shook his head, "I don't really get you."

He started to walk away, and Lily went with him. I called after them.

"You're coming to the Hufflepuff afterparty tonight, aren't you?"

Lorcan turned on the spot and walked backwards, "Wouldn't dream of missing it, Ly!"

Then, he turned around and continued on his path back to the school. I smiled and entered the Hufflepuff tent to get showered and changed. Bailey was next to me, her arms crossed.

"Why d'you always invite them? Potter always brings booze and Lorcan's apart of the opposing teams house."

"Lorcan's my brother and Lily's my best friend, that's why."

And I headed into the showers. I grabbed my clothes and stripped. Turning on the shower and stepped in and the hot water thawed out my numbed fingers, toes, and nose. I scrubbed at my body until each specific part was red. Then, I got turned off the water and dried off with my towel.

I pulled my clothes on, then bundled up for my commute up to the castle. Halfway back to the castle, someone popped up next to me.

"Hey, Lysander!" Frankie Longbottom said suddenly.

I jumped to the side a little, slipping slightly on a small patch of ice. I patted my ear.

"Merlin's beard, Frankie. If Hogwarts had cheerleaders, you could be one." I told him.

He looked at me and scrunched his nose, "Aren't they all girls? I thought you supported me?"

Lysander looked around at him, "What? I do, Frankie! You know what, forget what I said."

Frankie and I kept walking up the hill. When we got to the castle, we parted ways in the corridor.

"Well, I'll see you at the after party." Frankie told me.

I nodded and chuckled, "See you there."

I strolled down to the Hufflepuff corridor. There, I tickled the fruit and climbed through the portrait hole. House elves swarmed my feet, asking my request of something to eat and drink.

I looked at one and asked, "Can I just get some cocoa?"

The elf rushed off to fulfill his request and returned with a mug filled to the brim with creamy cocoa. I took it from the house elf and said thank you. Then, I took a sip from the mug and took in the way it tasted like my nana's recipe.

I carried the mug from the kitchen and only half present in reality, I knocked on the barrel to get into the common room.

"Helga Hufflepuff." I said quietly to myself as I knocked.

Inside the common room, Alice Longbottom II stood on a stool, hanging banners. She turned slightly when she heard me come into the room and hopped down to talk to me.

"Was it scary, Lysander?" she asked.

I was in the middle of drinking, so I quickly gulped cocoa down, which kind of hurt, and said, "No. Not really."

"You must've been scared afterwards, though. Right?" she asked again.

I looked down at her, "Ally. Do you just want me to admit I was scared?" Alice was quiet, "Ally?"

She sighed loudly, "Alright! Maybe I don't always buy it when you say you weren't scared at all!"

I chuckled, "Alright. To be honest, I was terrified. But my strength kicked in and it helped stay on the broom."

"I heard Lily was terrified for you." Alice said before walking away.

I looked after her, "What? What d'you mean?"

She shook her head. I turned back around and took a sip from my mug, puzzling over the idea of Lily being scared for someone, let alone me.

_____

I must've laid down for a nap, because I woke up and was in the middle of a party. I walked through the common room, looking for Lily or Lorcan. When I found Lily, she was with my little sister, Erika.

"I thought you had to study tonight, Erika."

She looked at me, "I still do, but Dad asked to see if you were alright."

I nodded, "Well, I'm great. Tell Dad everything's fine."

Erika nodded in agreement. She gave me a quick side hug and hustled off. I looked to Lily.

"Where's your boyfriend?" I asked her.

She smiled, "Lorcan's over there."

I followed her gaze and saw Lorcan standing with Rebecca Wood, Lily's soon-to-be sister-in-law.

"Do you want me to bring him over here?" I asked her.

Lily giggled and shook her head, "No. I wanted to spend some time with you."

I furrowed my brows but didn't complain about it. Hanging out with Lily was better than a party. Lily and I talked for hours and hours until a huge yawn escaped her mouth. I smiled kindly.

"Do you want me to walk you back to your common room?" I asked.

She shook her head, "No. Lorcan said he would."

My eyebrows twitched at the mention of my brother. I'd been fixated on Lily, I forgot he was also at the party.

_____

Everyone who wasn't in Hufflepuff had left and Alice and I were the only ones who volunteered to clean up. Everyone was in bed and Alice had handed me a broom while she was climbing the furniture to yank down streamers.

She yanked one down and at least dozen butterbeer bottles rained down on her. I managed to pull her out of the way, but not before a bottle smashed on her head.

"Sorry, Ally." I told her.

She managed a smile, "It's okay." looking up at the ceiling, she crossed her arms over her chest, "Why do we even have rafters? So much trash ends up there."

I was about to say something, but I halted myself when I heard something. The most angelic voice I'd ever heard calling for help. My name. She was calling my name.

"Lily." and I took off running.