Chapter 2: Fissure Fear

Mirabel left the room, dancing melodically. I tried to reach to her but Casita stopped me, sliding a vase in front of me and wanting me to hide.

- Always walking alone, always wanting for more.- she began singing, sliding her hand across the lights lighting up the stairs.- Like I'm still at that door longing to shine like all of you shine.- she sung as she stared at her room's door, I stayed still behind the plant so she couldn't see me.- All I need is a change, all I need is a chance. All I know is can't stay on the side, open your eyes, open your eyes, open your eyes.- she went upstairs again and banged on Abuela's door, begging it to light her life up. She stood there and started dancing as she went to the other side of the second floor.- I would move the mountains, make new trees and flowers grow, someone please just let me know where do I go, I am waiting on a miracle, a miracle.

- Poor Mirabel...

- I would heal what's broken, show this family something new, who I am inside so what can I do?- she asked while reaching for each door, like she was trying to impress them.- I'm sick on waiting on a miracle, so here I go.- she suddenly climbed one of the windows and jumped on the house's roof. I left my hiding place and leaned over the balcony so I could see where she was going but she got out of my sight.

- Casita, come on.- the house boosted me to the top and I stood there unseen by her.

- I am ready. Come on I'm ready.- fireworks blew up right behind her, the flickering lights were falling in the sky, dancing in the wind. A flawless presentation with tons of different colors.- I'm impatient to stand fast and steady. Bless me now as you blessed us all those years ago, when you gave us a miracle!...- as the last firework exploded, she jumped back to her window and walked to the center of the house, at the bottom of the staircase. She frowned.- Am I too late for a miracle?

I jumped back to the second floor and hid behind the vase again. With my sudden touch, the ceramic vase cracked and it made a fissure under my fingers, I slid them across the broken object without seeing it and it made a shallow wound on me. I grunted in pain for a while but I tried whispering so I wouldn't be noticed. The noise made Mirabel look up in my direction but her attention changed to a roof tile misteriously falling in front of her, she reached it to inspect the situation better but got cut as well.

- Agh.- she complained.

As she looked her recently cut hand, a cracking noise resonated behind me. A large crack, a fissure slowly growing made the same noise as the tiles breaking on the first floor.

- Casita?- we both reached to the cracks at the same time.

Suddenly, the fissures ran across the house's walls, passing through all the magic doors and reaching to the candle on Abuela's window. The cracks surrounded the light and the flame started fading away, Mirabel quickly ran upstairs without even noticing me and entered on Antonio's room. A moment of silence started as the walls slowly came back to normal, like nothing has ever happened. The candle's flame burned bright and lighted up the dark night.

The door bursts open and Mirabel, along with Abuela and some people, walked out of it.

- You won't believe it, there were a lot of them. You need to see thi...- she noticed the walls and floors intact.- What? No, that can't be, they were all around the walls and...

- Mirabel.- Abuela interrupted.- Stop trying to call attention to yourself only because you don't have a gift. Now go to your room if you don't want to enjoy the ceremony.

- But...

- No buts!- she shouted. Abuela took a deep breath and turned around to the visits.- There is no problem with the magic, the magic is strong, as our family bond. Now let's get back to the party.