The Hades Incident

Start from the beginning

Me and Sara walked towards Q-taro and Ranger who were arguing. Keiji was there to but he was just watching them. "Dammit...!! You gotta be screwin' with me!!" Q-taro raged. I spoke up. "Q-taro, what's the matter?"

"Y/N! Sara! This Ranger guy just said we can't go back to the first and second floors!" "I mean, you cleared 'em already, right?" Ranger said. "Hold on a second...! Kai's laptop is down there!" Sara told Ranger. "Who caaares. We'll confiscate that thing!" Ranger said. "Dammit! It was unmistakably a clue...! That laptop's the last thing I wanna let you guys take!!" Ranger walked away as Q-taro stormed off.

"...Sheesh." (I'm sorry, but I heard Ryoma saying that-) Sara and I looked at Keiji. "Keiji..." "Bet Q-taro wants to find the truth about Kai." Keiji said. "About Kai...?" Keiji rubbed his neck, as usual. "What a troublesome guy... leaving mystery after mystery."

"I sometimes wonder if Kai was a good person..." I say. "...Some aspects suggested it. His anger for the victims, and resistance against the kidnappers... Was Kai acting for good or for evil? Just whose side was he on...?" Keiji wondered. "...And we ended up making Kai a victim without knowing anything about him..." Sara muttered. I heard some guilt and sadness in her voice.

It was silent for a moment until Keiji spoke up. "...But we can make inferences." "Wait, inferences...?" I say in confusion. "Friend or foe... Let's consider the possibilities. First, Kai confessed to having some contact with the kidnapppers. So one possibility is that Kai was with the baddies. Like the director of the Death Game, for instance."

"Yet, Kai drew the Sage card and died... In his last moments... He said he entrusted me and Y/N his hopes. I can't imagine him as an enemy." Sara noted. "Incidentally, Y/N, Sara... You really didn't have any acquaintance with Kai?" "Nope."

"...Huh. Then how about this one? Something like... Kai betrayed the kidnappers." Keiji assured. "And he was executed as an example...?" Sara questioned. "I mean, he did bonk Miley in the head." I added. "Hmm... It's possible he earned their wrath, but..." Sara trailed off.

"Maybe that's not it... Then here's the next possibility. Kai was on our side, but had some sort of communication with the kidnappers. Though in the same situation as all of us... He did dealings or missions in the shadows." Keiji said. "Missions...? Like what?" I ask. "You remember the First Trial everyone took, right?"

"Yes, that game where Y/N and I were tied to beds... and we had to find the key..." Sara told him. "It wasn't the same for everybody. Didn't Q-taro say so?" "Oh yeah! Q-taro said that he just had to bring that yellow box with Mileys' head." I stopped for a second as an idea popped into my head. "Wait... Is that what you mean by "missions"?" I guessed.

"Yep. In short, Kai might have also been entrusted with a different mission. Like "ensnare the other participants."" "No way...!" "In other words, he was being manipulated. Like a disposable pawn..." Keiji told. 'Dang...'

It was silent, again. What is with everyone being quiet? "...There's one more." Keiji spoke. "A very slight possibility, but one your friendly policeman'd like to hope for."

"Eh...? / Huh?" Me and Sara uttered in unison. "The possibility we've got an ally on the side of the kidnappers."

'What...?!'

"In other words, there's a traitor among 'em, trying to destroy the Death Game from the inside. That person was in contact with Kai, and had him assist with the plan. Well? Think that's... out of the question?" Keiji asked us. "One of the kidnappers... is our ally...?!" Sara stammered.

"I mean... It is possible...!" I started "I don't have any proof that could fully deny it... but...!!" "Looks like you can't wrap your head around it." Keiji said. "There are clearly some illogical aspects, so..." I trailed off. "Well, all that's just my hope, anyhow. Could be interesting if Miley was related to this, though. Wahaha..."

"...Keiji." Sara called. "I was just thinking... There hasn't been a past case similar to this Death Game, has there...?" She asked. Keiji thought for second. "...There has." He answered. My eyes widened. "Wait what...?!"

"...It was decades ago, apparently... But I've read the files. There was a battle for influence between major crime rings. At the time, the police were putting their all into exterminating these organizations. Those living in the shadows had it pretty rough, so crime rings started laying waste to their own. But if you're just gonna mutually destroy each other, it's better to join hands, they thought... And so they executed a plan to unify the crime rings into one monolith. In the ways of violence they're so adept at." Keiji explained.

"Don't tell me, that was..." "Yes, a Death Game. A mutual slaughter with rules... Scary stuff. The representatives had a grand battle, and only one person survived. That survivor reigned at the top of criminal society. Think it was called the Hades Incident."

"Hades Incident..." Sara muttered. 'Sounds like a good show name...'

"Shot to the top of the criminal "underworld"... Hence, the Hades Incident. But ultimately, the organization collapsed afterward." Keiji added. "Justice always prevails. The police do their job sometimes, right...?"

"Nice, you did good, Keiji." I said as a gave him a thumbs up. "Don't mention it." Keiji paused. "...I don't like being treated like a dog." "In that case, no treats for you." Sara joked. "...If we make it out alive, I might accept some." Keiji said. "More importantly, we better get moving. Ranger was mentioning that the rest of the attractions have opened up all around here." Keiji informed.

"Is that so...?" "Think it'd be good to go look for 'em? Tell me if I can help out with something. This policeman... will be both your partner, Y/N, Sara."

'The attractions... We'll go look around.'

1557 words in all. This took a while-