teenage dream

That evening Rose approaches Daniel in the kitchen. She knows she can't tell Shangela without her possibly murdering Daniel, and obviously telling Trix was not her place.

'Daniel.'

'Hey Rose' Daniel smiles at her warmly. He felt so much better than he did a few months ago. Yes, he isn't being honest with his family, but this way he was able to stay with Trix and Hamlet while also finding comfort in Valerie. Well, more than comfort. Only the week before, one afternoon before they had to collect the children Valerie told him she loves him. For a second Daniel didn't know what to say, but quickly he said he loves her too, because it is the truth. He was in love with Valerie, no matter how wrong it may be.

Rose looked conflicted. 'I saw you and Valerie earlier.' Daniel's blood ran cold. How could she know?

'What do you mean?' Daniel quickly replied.

'I saw you kiss her on the doorstep. How could you do this to Trix?'

'Do this to Trix? It's what he's done to me! We haven't slept together in a month.'

'Have you even tried talking to him about it?'

'He never wants to talk anymore.'

'Well maybe because you're off shagging Valerie!' Rose said in a shouted whisper. A glass is dropped and shattered around the corner. Rose looks concerned. Daniel is terrified. Round the corner comes Shangela. For a moment Daniel is relieved before he sees Shangela's fiery eyes. She storms towards Daniel and even though she is slightly shorter grabs and slams him against the fridge. 'Shang! Stop.' Rose pleads. She looks at Rose and releases her grip. Shangela's eyes burn dangerously bright.

'What is this?'

'Look Shangela I-'

'You really slept with Valerie?'

'It wasn't- just sleeping together' Shangela takes a step back and exhales in anger.

'You realise that makes it worse??' she almost looks like she's going to hit Daniel.

'Look, our marriage, it-'

'Are you really tryna blame Trix for you not being able to keep your dick in your pants?'

'Oh cause you can talk Miss Affair!' for a second Daniel was angry too, before he sighed, 'I'm not blaming him-- he just doesn't seem to care about our marriage anymore, sometimes I think maybe he's off with some other bloke too' Shangela suddenly stepped forward and punched him in the face.

'Shangela what the fuck!' from behind them, Trix has appeared, wrapped in his silk dressing gown. Shangela's anger immediately fades. She looks guilty, not for attacking Daniel, but for not wanting to hurt her little brother.

'Trix...' Shangela says. Daniel is speechless. He doesn't know what to say, but he has to say something. But before he can, Trix starts to tear up.

'Who is it? You're sleeping with someone right?'

'Trix- how did you-'

'You've been more and more distant with me for the past few months. We haven't slept together in almost two months you know.'

'I'm... sorry.'

Trix scoffs.'Is that really all you have to say? After nearly 10 years of being together?...How did you find out?' Trix looks at Shangela, but Rose speaks up.

'I saw him kissing her. This afternoon.'

'You used our son as an excuse?'

' No! I got him from school after..' Trix tries to look strong, but a tear rolls down his cheek.

'I love you Dan.' He opens his mouth to speak again, but can't and leaves. Shangela goes after him, it's just Rose and Daniel again.

Rose softly says, 'If you love her, you have to go. Not sure you'd have much choice anyway, but it's not fair even to yourself to stay where you're not happy.'

'But I'm not not happy, I'm just.. Unfulfilled.. But that can change.'

'Yes, it can, but not after you have a 6 month affair where you fall in love again. Look, I've been married twice, my wife three times, it doesn't always work. I don't believe what you've done is right, but the next right thing is to go.' Daniel sighed. He knew Rose was right. Trix may have been his teenage dream, but they were too different now. He should've ended it months ago, before he got involved with Valerie.