Chapter 46: Two Sides Of The Same Coin

Začít od začátku

Gently, Laura put her hand on Maya's shoulder and guided her towards the house, happy to have the next generation Romanoff into her home while getting flashbacks to when Natasha first came here, insecurity written all over her face.

''Come on, I'll show you around.'' 

After a wave to Happy, who was phoning, Maya followed Laura nervously. But as soon as the girl set a foot inside, that tension lifted. The vibe in the house was warm and cozy, like her own home. Welcoming.

After a tour of the entire house, they reached the guest bedroom, the open window letting fresh air in. It smelled differently in this part of the country. More like fresh mowed grass and less like polluted air. 

''And this is your room. Clint painted the walls red as a joke, because it is Nat's color.'' Laura nodded to the walls, moving to open the bathroom door as well. ''Oh, and I don't know if you know this, but Katya asked Nat to marry her right on this bathroom floor. A bit dramatic if you ask me, but it worked out in the end.'' She shrugged, to which Maya giggled. 

She did not know that story. She only heard stories about their wedding when she asked, which she mostly did because the look in their eyes when they talked about each other, was the best thing ever.

Katya would always blush lightly, whereas Natasha's eyes sparkled like someone had lit one of those sparkly fireworks in them.

With a kind smile, Laura sat next to Maya on the double bed. ''If you need anything, don't be afraid to ask. Your moms consider this their second home, and I want it to feel that way for you as well, okay?'' She nodded when Maya did. ''I was going to make everyone some sandwiches for lunch, do you want one as well?'' 

Maya nodded gratefully. ''I'll help you,'' she offered, remembering what Natasha told her before stepping on the plane, telling her to be a good guest and help around the house.

Laura placed a hand on her knee, her smile widening. ''That's very sweet, but why don't you unpack first, and you can help me with dinner if you still want to.'' Once again, she saw little traces of Natasha and Katya wired through the girl's upbringing. They always helped more than they should as well. ''I'll call you down when we can eat.''

Maya nodded once more, so Laura was off, shutting the door so she had privacy.

Now that she was alone for the first time in a while, she took a deep breath in and out and looked around the room. Except for the red walls, nothing betrayed that her moms ever stayed here. 

The nightstands and drawers were empty, and the cupboard under the sink in the bathroom had only towels, a hairdryer, curling iron and straightener, and everything else a guest might need. 

Not that Maya knew what she expected to find. Maybe weapons somewhere? 

Slowly, she unpacked her bag, putting her toiletries in the bathroom, wondering who was going to braid her hair at night, and laying her pajamas on top of the pillow - under a stuffed animal. 

Now, she had never been homesick before, but when she pulled the closet door open and stumbled upon some spare clothes from both her moms, a wave of it hit her anyway, but in a good way.

With a smile playing on her lips, she unfolded the black t-shirt and studied it, the smell of the laundry detergent Katya used at home, hitting her nostrils. Apparently, it hadn't changed in all those years.