13 | human puzzles

Start from the beginning

Turning on his heel, he walked towards his nettled classmate temporarily taking the dilemma off his mind. "Stupid. Useless. Fucking. Machine." he heard her curse followed by a push or slap with each word. Oblivious to the figure behind her, Y/n shook the machine ferociously in an attempt to let her stuck pack of snack fall.

After attempting and failing miserably, Y/n inhaled sharply before taking a few steps back only to bump into a body behind her. Y/n swiftly turned around to apologize, her eyes immediately widened upon seeing the double-quirked boy.

"You're going to break the vending machine if you continue doing that L/n," he spoke, his voice low and monotonous as ever. "You can recognize me?" Y/n gasped sounding rather fake yet with a slight tone of surprise.

Todoroki eyed her outfit for a moment. She was wearing a plain hoodie, pants, a black cap on her head, and a pair of dark sunglasses. A completely typical disguise of characters in movies.

"No, you're totally unrecognizable. Who are you again?" he replied, sarcastically. Y/n giggled and nudged his arm with her elbow. "Aw, you're learning from me. That's cute."

"Uhh, I wouldn't take it as a complement Mister Todoroki." her AI spoke, as the screen of her glasses flickered until it turned transparent displaying the genius' e/c eyes with faint dark circles under them and a vague purple bruise on her cheek.

Y/n rolled her eyes and proceeded to crouch down to stick her hand into the vending machine. "So what brings you here?" she asked,  reaching for the snack.

"I could ask you the same thing."

Todoroki had never expected her to be in such a public place. If he were to think about what could she possibly do at the moment, he'd imagine her in a luxurious restaurant or in her sumptuous home partying with friends, celebrating her win.

Walking past her, Todoroki inserted a coin before scanning the vending machine. "I'd never expected to see you here out of all places," he admitted, pressing a button. "Frankly, I'd say the same too if I were you," she replied, groaning as she stood up followed by her jaw-dropping as she watched the box of juice that the boy chose fall along with her snack.

"Here." he handed her, her snack as he sipped at the box of milk that he bought nonchalantly. He watched her sigh in disbelief and ate her own snack. Both sat on the array of vacant chairs on the side of the hallway.

The two of them sat in silence. The sound of the food wrapper and the distant faint chattering of busy health workers and patients engulfed the awkward silence between them.

"You never answered my question." Y/n finally spoke, breaking the silence. "I'm here to visit someone," he replied. Y/n leaned at the wall behind her and turned her head to look at the bi-colored hair male. "Then why are you still here?"

Todoroki didn't answer. His hands once again became cold due to the remembrance of the reason why he was in the hospital in the first place. Y/n gave him a look of understanding knowing not to pry on his personal life and finished her snack.

"It's someone important to me." he continued, "I haven't talked to her in a very long time."

Y/n stayed quiet, allowing him to talk as his emotions poured out along with every word he said. "She's been imprisoned by my father this whole time." Todoroki didn't know why he was telling all of this to her; a person nothing more than an acquaintance and classmate.

Deep down in his chest, he felt a fresh emotion that not once had he felt before; nearly similar to a tingling feeling of need and comfort.

"I'm sure you already know about my family's case."