"Do whatever feels right to you." He finalized before patting your back and getting up to go help Jean and Connie pack more things into the flying boat.

You tossed your head back, letting the thoughts sink deep into your head. You really had no where else to go. Gabi and Falco would be safe with the Azumabito and Annie. They didn't need your protection anymore.

For a second you fiddled with the sleeves of your button up, rolling them up near your elbows before striding over to Hanji who was headed towards the flying boat, chatting along with one of the Azumabito technicians.

"Hey, Commander!" You called out. They stopped and turned towards you waving their hands slightly. "What's wrong you look troubled?" They asked while scrunching their eyebrows together.

"I was wondering... you got space for one more on that flying boat?" Their face immediately lit up, voice rising above any level you thought could be possible. They went on about how much they were grateful and how they were in bad need of more shifters.

"You had me worried there for a moment I seriously thought you were going with Annie! God! I gotta tell the others!" They screamed into your ears before turning to the technician and rambling to them.

"You're gonna need these then." You heard from behind you, Jean added while pointing with his head to the ODM gear that was in his arms.

"Thank you." You smiled before taking the equipment into your hands. "I'll go put these on before they get ready to take off." "I'll make sure to tell Reiner and Annie you changed your mind." He informed before walking off.

-

The sun was just about to pop out from the horizon once more, signaling the beginning of the war zone you would step into in a couple hours. You had walked off with Pieck looking for Lady Kiyomi.

"Please take care of those two children. We are aware that there is no guarantee that they'll be safe on the ship but it's better than them getting on the flying boat." Earlier you and Pieck had agreed to talk to her into taking care of Gabi and Falco while the two of you would be out.

"Of coarse that is fine with me, but what would they think of it?" She asked. "Please don't let them out before we have taken off. I'm sure they'll come to understand sooner or later that its for the best." You sighed while rubbing your temples.

"So you're both..."

"We're going to fulfill our duty as warriors."

-

"Hange! We'll be preparing for takeoff in an hour!" "Got it!" After you and Pieck had talked to Lady Kyomi the both of you had walked back to the flying boat and rested for the remaining time until you heard yelling coming from inside the base.

"So I'm gonna be the only one running away huh..." Annie sighed. "Don't worry, you never submitted to Marley from the start. There's no burden for you to be saddled with." Pieck spoke up from beside you.

"Reiner... Y/n..."

"I've always wanted to apologize to you, Y/n, and Bertolt... for starting the mission by force after loosing Marcel... If we had turned around then the three of you might have been able to go home and meet your families. It feels presumptuous of me to even apologize." Reiner mumbled while gulping.

"Yeah. I don't know how many times I stopped just short of trying to killing you." You felt Pieck give you a confused look at what Annie had just confessed.

"You showed a lot of restraint." You added before going in to hug her. "Please take care of Falco and Gabi for us." You asked before walking back to the flying boat with Reiner and Pieck.