love bites || s.h

You and Steve got together shortly after things ended with Nancy. To say Steve was hurt was an understatement but there you were to pick up the pieces. You had your doubts that you were just there to ease the pain but Steve promised that wasn't case and you believed him. For two months you pushed thoughts to the back of your mind but they'd always make their way though.
"When I'm with you are you somewhere else?"
He'd always look for her in the halls even when you're right there with him. He never looked at you the way he looked at Nancy. It hurt you to think if Nancy came back he'd leave you right then and there. "Steve?" He slowly peeled his eyes away from the girl that broke his heart not that long ago. "Yeah y/n?" He went to hold your hand and you reluctantly accepted knowing who he gazing at seconds earlier. "The bells about to ring I'm gonna head on to class." He checked his watch and dropped your hand then spoke "oh sh*t you're right. I'll see you later." He pressed a kiss to your cheek and headed your separate ways.
*time skip to after school*
You met Steve at his car like always and you drove home in silence which wasn't normal but you didn't mind it today. He dropped you off at your house and before you got it you told him "Uhh Steve, would you mind coming in so we can talk about a few things?" He agreed and got out of the car walking with you to the house. You walked up to your bedroom and you both sat on your bed and he reached for your hand but you flinched and pulled away.
"I don't wanna touch you too much baby"
"What's wrong y/n? Did I do something?" You didn't know how to respond right then so you took a minute.
"Cause making love to you might drive me crazy"
You finally spoke "I love you Steve and you know that but I gotta ask you, do you still love her?"His face grew somber and he spoke slowly "I- I don't know y/n." Your face fell but you regained composure, "Okay Steve then I guess we're done here."
"I know you think love is the way you make it"
You went to get off the bed but he stopped you. "No wait, let's not get crazy here. I like you y/n." You shook you head holding back tears. "See Steve I'm in love with you. I'm all in but I'm always gonna be 2nd place to Nancy Wheeler.
"So I don't wanna be there when you decide to break it"
"I don't wanna have to live with the fact that when or if she comes back you'll leave me just as fast as she did you." He knew you were right so he didn't argue he picked up his jacket off your bed and left without a word.