Chapter 21: Accelerate

Začít od začátku

The next day, Liana's in her room looking at a photo album with her and Emily

The next day, Liana's in her room looking at a photo album with her and Emily. Emily's next to Liana and points and says, "That's my favorite dress." Liana's startled and moves away from Emily. Liana says, "You're... you're not real." Emily says, "I am too real." Liana says, "No, you died." Then there's a knock on the door and Liana hears Clark's voice say, "Liana? Chloe's dad said you were up here." Liana goes to open her door and Clark notices Liana a little freaked out and says, "Liana, what is it?" A frightened Liana says, "Clark... It sounds so ridiculous." Clark says, You can tell me anything, Liana. You know that." Liana says, "Clark... do you believe in ghosts?" Then Liana takes Clark to a bridge and says, "We used to come out here all the time. We'd make little boats out of flowers and float them downstream. They always sunk before they got around the bend." Clark says, "Is this where she drowned?" Tears are forming in Liana's eyes and she says, "It was raining... and the bridge was slippery. The next thing I knew..." Clark puts his hand on her shoulder and says, "It's okay." Liana grabs his hand on her shoulder and sniffs and says, "Funny thing is... Emily always believed in ghosts. Whenever a candle flickered or a curtain rustled she'd insist it was my mom trying to talk to me. As much as I wanted to believe her I always knew it was make-believe. Maybe this is her way of-of showing me that the dead really can communicate with us." Clark says, "If she is a ghost why do you think she waited so long to contact you?" Liana says, "I don't know." Clark says, "There just has to be a rational explanation for this girl. Have you kept in contact with her parents?" Liana says, "No, they spilt up after the accident. I don't know where her mom is, but her dad moved to Grandville." Clark says, "Maybe you're not the only one who's seen her." Then they drive to Grandville and to see Emily's dad and they get out the car and he says, "Didn't you see the "No Trespassing" signs?" Liana says, "Mr. Dinsmore, it's me, Liana Lang." Mr. Dinsmore says, "Oh, well, look at you. All grown up." Liana says, "Mr. Dinsmore, this is, this is gonna sound strange... but I think I saw Emily." Mr. Dinsmore says, "What is this, some kind of sick joke?" Liana says, "I don't mean to upset you. It's just... I've seen her twice." Clark says, "We figured if anybody else had seen her, it'd be you." Mr. Dinsmore says, "Sure, I've seen her. Whenever I hear her favorite song. Or see a young girl jumping rope in the park. Losing a child is something a parent never gets over. Now, if you'll excuse me." Mr. Dinsmore gets into his car and leaves. Later, Liana's locking up the Talon and she sees Emily bang on the door and she screams. Emily says, "Let me in, Liana." Liana goes to run away, but she sees the backdoor open and she turns around when she hears Emily say, "I know why you're scared of me. I saw my grave. But I'm not dead, Liana." Liana is scared and says, "Who are you?" Emily says, "I'm Emily, silly." Liana turns away from Emily and Emily's in front of her. Liana's crying and says, "What do you want from me?" Emily says, "My daddy said I can't see you anymore. Did you do something bad?" Then Liana hears Clark knocking on the door and he says, "Liana?" Liana goes to unlock the door and says, "She's here." Clark says, "Where?" Liana says, "I swear it, Clark, sh-she was right here." Clark says, "Liana, it's okay. I believe you. Emily's not a ghost. I saw her. In the graveyard. It's where I found this." Clark hands Liana a gold necklace and Liana says, "Her father gave it to her because she wanted a necklace like mine. But it can't be Emily. She still couldn't be ten years old." Clark says, "I don't know who it is. But I think I know how she's able to just disappear out of nowhere. I think she moves faster than we can see." Liana says, "How?" Clark says, "I'm not sure, but, hey... at least we know you're not losing your mind." Liana smiles and says, "Thanks, Clark." They check out Emily's old house and Clark says, "Come on, stay close." Then they hear a voice say, "You're my best friend." It's coming from downstairs and they and find Emily's room and Clark says, "This must be what you saw at the talon." Then they hear, "You're my best friend, " from a doll that moves. Liana softly laughs and says, "Who needs human companionship when you could have a Gabby Abby?" Liana then finds a diary and says, "I remember this. I gave it to Emily for her ninth birthday. Last entry's from the day before she died: "I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow. Liana and I going to the river. We're going to be best friends forever."" Liana then finds a photo of her and Emily. Clark says, "Liana." Liana turns to Clark to see a hidden door and they go through it and down the stairs to find some sort of a laboratory. They walk up to a capsule and see that there's a body that looks just like Emily. Liana says, "Oh, my God." Liana checks another capsule to see another body of Emily. Then the Emily wakes up and Liana screams and knocks down some chemicals. Liana looks at the chemicals that spilled and she starts to get a little queasy. Liana staggers away from it to Clark and he says, "Let's get out of here." They then go to Clark's and Mr. Kent says, "I think you did the right thing, calling the police." Mrs. Kent says, "He was trying to clone his daughter?" Clark says, "He did more than try. We think he succeeded." Mr. Kent says, "Whoever's funding him sure got a heck of a lot of money." Clark says, "Dinsmore even wanted her to have the same memories as Emily. That's why he gave her the diary." Liana says, "That little girl must be so confused. All she wanted was a friend and I just scared her away. I have to go and find her." Clark says, "Liana, I don't think that's a good idea." Mrs. Kent says, "Clark's right. Until we know more, why don't you stay here?" They then hear a knock on the door and Mrs. Kent opens the door and the sheriff comes in and says, "Mrs. Kent, Mr. Kent." Mr. Kent says, "Hello, sheriff." The Sheriff says, "We followed up on your story." Clark says, "You found the lab." The Sheriff says, "After we got your call, we went and checked it out. David Copperfield must've got there first." Liana and Clark look at each other and sigh.