}10{ - Unforeseeable Allies

Începe de la început

"Don't trust Cato." Livia instructed.

"Hey, hey, calm down", He cooed, momentarily putting out her fire like soft dew on grass, "talk to me, Liv."

It was too much.

"Don't trust him!" Livia spat.

The elevator doors opened on Peeta's floor, showcasing the pair the entire floor.

His mentor, his prep team, and his brunette partner- Katniss.

Katniss stepped forward as if she were going to step in on behalf of Peeta.

She didn't get far though, because in the mere second Livia faltered he'd already tucked her safely behind him.

"It's alright. Everything's fine." Peeta assured.

"Ah, the guest of honor."

Livia peaked slightly out.

She felt like a little girl again, hiding behind her father- before she was ultimately shook off and reprimanded.

The voice belonged to Haymitch Abernathy.

Livia had seen him many times before.

Every game he'd mentored since she could remember he'd been the laughing stock- usually throwing up all over the crowd or falling off.

She pitied Peeta and Katniss for the lack of a decent mentor- although her own was not all that much better.

Haymitch dismissed Katniss and the moment she'd gone Livia blew a casket.

"Are you crazy?!" Livia started, starting to move, only for Peeta to keep her rooted as he stood between her and his mentor, "You must be crazy!"

"Feisty." Haymitch jeered.

It was Peeta's disapproving look that set him back on track.

"Face it, the boy did you a favor. He made you look desirable You're all they're talking about. The star-crossed lovers." Haymitch explained.

"It also painted a bright red target on Peeta's back!" Livia huffed.

But she wasn't supposed to care.

So what?

He dug his grave, didn't that mean he deserved to lie in it?

"That's where you come in isn't it?" He remarked.

What?

"Like a truce?" She quizzed.

"That's up to you, sweetheart", He explained, "The cards are in your hands."

The words were sinking in and he tanger faded.

She was torn then between thinking she'd been used and thinking she'd been given an edge.

Haymitch was right.

She survived my interview, but what was she really? The only moment of any substance she hailed was when she talked about her brothers.