Chapter 19: Precipice

Start from the beginning

The next day, Liana comes from out the Talon and sees Clark

The next day, Liana comes from out the Talon and sees Clark. Clark says, "Hey, Liana. What's wrong?" Liana says, "According to the sheriff I don't have case that'll hold up in court. It's all hearsay. At least you were there, Clark." Clark says, "Yeah. Look where it got me." Liana says, "Sorry. So, how'd you do it, Clark? I mean, I know you can take care of yourself but... there were three of them." Clark says, "They were drunk. And I was highly motivated. I mean, the thought of someone hurting you..." Liana says, "You can't keep your eye on me, every second." Clark says, "I can try." Liana says, "You're always there to save me. I don't always need you to save me, I can take care off myself." Later, Liana's still at the Talon and is putting away dishes. She feels a hand touch her shoulder and is startled. Liana gasps and drops a plate and turns to see Lex and he says, "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Liana says, "No, it's okay. I guess I'm still a little jumpy." Lex says, "It's understandable. You had quite an ordeal." Liana says, "I just feel so stupid. It's not like I was even hurt." Lex says, "No, no, this place has always been safe haven for you. Now that's been violated." Liana says, "So now what? Become a shut-in?" Lex says, "Liana, I know what it's like to feel vulnerable." Liana smiles and says, "You?" Lex softly chuckles and says, "Trust me, eccentric bald kids sit pretty low on the prep school totem pole. I was bullied for years, till one day I decided I have enough." Liana says, "What'd you do?" Lex says, "One of my father's chauffeurs was an ex-Navy SEAL. I convinced him to teach me to fight. Let's just say the next time I was cornered the guy ended up needing serious dental work." Liana says, "I could never hurt anybody." Lex says, "It's not about hurting people. It's about reclaiming your sense of control over your life. Isn't that what you want?"

 Isn't that what you want?"