08. boobies and chupa chups.

Start from the beginning

Shutting the door behind us, John B leans against the van. "Don't worry, you guys got this." He reassures, completely missing the source of our trepidation. I think Kie and I are on the same page.

I grab the stick of the lollipop and pull it out for a second, a grin on my face. Boys are so clueless.

Kie smiles, "It's not us we're worried about." She glances at me briefly, as if to confirm I feel the same way. I do. She then looks at the two boys who are fighting animatedly in the back seat.

John B gets the point.

"We're fucked. Truly." I mutter, my teeth biting down on the plastic stick. Sorry, Greta. I do appreciate your work.

Kie looks at me and tips her head toward her car and we walk over. I glance behind me, looking at the van, catching JJ's eyes. I pull the lollipop from my mouth, debating on saying something. Ultimately I don't say anything, I put the sweet back in my mouth and turn around. I get inside the luxe car, which smells like a woody car air freshener. We are pulling a boat, which is going to be the main object in our plan.

I fasten my seatbelt and get comfortable, rolling the lolly as the sweet gets smaller. I forgot how good these little shits were. Terrible for your teeth, but I brush three times a day and floss every so often. I'm allowed sugar.

I get comfortable, I've known Kie long enough to know she's got something on her mind. It's only a matter of time before the question comes out.

"So... I'm going to need you to tell me what the hell is going on between you and JJ. Or I will drive us off the nearest cliff." She threatens, giving the steering wheel a little jerk. I think it was to scare me, but the lane correction aspect of the car straightens it out.

I suck on the lollipop, thinking about what to say. Honesty is not the best policy, I haven't even been honest with myself. The worry that appears is, that if Kie is beginning to put the pieces together then how long until everyone puts them together? And what's the outcome? When all is said and done, will I be in one piece? I doubt it. I'm already only hanging on by a few threads. Pulling out the lollipop I let another lie fall out my mouth—well, it's a half lie—more an omission.

"Nothing. We barely know each other, I've spoken to him more in the last few days than I have ever." I tell the truth–kinda. I haven't counted all the words spoken between us.

She hums, "You sure? He hasn't, like, made a move or anything?"

"Kie, I have a boyfriend that would kill me if I let any boy make a move on me," I laugh. True–kinda.

"I know, I know. But you're not someone who follows the rules, you kinda act first, overthink later." She makes a very reasonable observation.

"I accept that." I nod.

"He likes someone. I know it. I know him." She looks across from me, I give her a nod, not entirely knowing what I'm agreeing with. "Don't tell him I said this, I would gut you like a fish—"

"—How kind of you—"

"—I use to like him, like, a lot. But not anymore, obviously." If I had a dollar for every time Kie used 'like' in the last thirty seconds I would, like, have more dollars than I should.

A sense of confusion fills my body as her words process. He likes someone. She liked him.

"How do you know he likes someone?" I ask, worried about her answer. Actions often imply feelings. Especially actions that make friends think you have feelings.

I need to shut this shit down like Fort Knox. No man is ever coming near my vagina again.

Kie laughs, "It's obvious." She isn't helpful at all.