Chapter 2: A New Turning Point

Start from the beginning

“Not really.” Lifting his head, Yue Zhishi stole a look at Wang Qian before opening the gift box. There was a delicate white fountain pen inside, as well as a bottle of ink; a card rested on top. He didn’t touch the fountain pen, only flipping open the card to read the words on it before placing it back. He returned the box into his drawer.

Gossipy Jiang Yufan leaned closer. “Which class is it from? That fountain pen doesn’t look cheap.”

Yue Zhishi pursed his lips, looking like he was considering something.

“We won’t be sent home immediately right after the opening ceremony, right?”

“I don’t think so, we probably still have to come back to the classroom. Why?”

“I want to go visit class 11 and give the gift back.”

Everyone in the class had already stood up, prepared to head towards the school gymnasium. Jiang Yufan really couldn’t understand why Yue Zhishi wanted to return the gift so seriously. “Wait, Le Le. Are you really giving it back? The girl’s tender heart will probably be hurt.”

Yue Zhishi was a bit hungry, so he unzipped his bag, pulling out the rice bun. After he opened it, he ate half the bun with one bite, and he mumbled, “If I don’t give it back, she might think I accepted her feelings. But I haven’t, so it’s not right to keep it. Besides, I’m only in third year of junior high, I can’t date.”

Jiang Yufan was in utter disbelief. “Oh my god, where did such an obedient baby came from. That guy next door had three different girlfriends last semester. Fine. Since you won’t be able to understand how a girl feels when heartbroken anyway.”

Heartbroken.

Yue Zhishi truly didn’t know how that felt, but he considered which one was worse out of being heartbroken or being deceived and firmly decided what to do.

“I’ll talk to her clearly.” Yue Zhishi rapidly took another bite of the bun and got up with the rest of the class. A completely new box of meds dropped out of his schoolbag, and he bent over, picking it up. He wanted to put it into his pocket, but the pockets of their uniform pants were too small — it wouldn’t fit. He tried to tear open the packaging, but the plastic was truly too strong.

“Come on, let’s go.” Jiang Yufan tugged at him.

“Oh, okay.”

The students in the entire school streamed in a massive flood into the gymnasium. He only realised there was no trash bin after going inside, and so Yue Zhishi quickly finished off the last piece of the bun, folding the packaging in half and stuffing it into his pants pocket.

Peiya was one of the most famous schools in their area. Compared to nearby Jingjian’s focus on scores and performance, this school was quite western in its teaching style. Many students left the school to go overseas, to the point there was a saying: “Only half of Peiya’s third year high school students take the university entrance exams.” The school was also rich and could afford its land — the junior high and high school departments had never been separated.

With such a colossal student body, the once a year school opening ceremony naturally became a big event in the school. The students could be as free and undisciplined as they wanted usually, but on this one day, nothing was allowed to go wrong.

High school students went inside first, and they sat down in the gymnasium spectator seats according to their year and class. Compass was at the front, arranging everyone. “Students in junior high third year’s class 6 through 11, sit in the court.”

“Ah?”

“Why is it us blue classes again?”

“Time to sit on the ground again, eh.”