The Proposal

Edward knew equivalent exchange wasn't the best way to propose to someone. So, he planned something more.... traditional.

As he led Winry down their dirt road to her Grandma Pinako's, his breath hitched in his throat. He felt his face grow red as he blushed loudly.

"Ed? Are you okay? Could you blush quieter?" She said as she lightly giggled, her hand lingering on his shoulder, rubbing small circles to de-stress him.

"Pfft," remarked Ed in a cocky tone, "I'm fine. Just excited to see everyone. Who's all coming?"

Winry looked at him with a confused look, but blew it off. Ed was always awkward as hell, so this was going according to schedule.

"Umm, Grandma Pinako, Roy, Riza, Gracia, Elicia, Alphonse, Mei, Ling, Lan Fan, and a few of the other military personals." Ed nodded and grabbed Winry's hand, swinging it back and forth. She smiled and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"Tonight is a special night. You know that?" Said Ed, glancing down at her. She shook her head and raised an eyebrow.

"Why is it so special?" He took his other hand and pretended to zip his lips shut. She scoffed and looked the other way.

"Surprise for your birthday." She smirked at him before laying her head on his shoulder. He glanced over at her. Her blue eyes were shining peacefully and her blonde hair was in a bun, her bangs still hanging in her eyes.

As he opened the door, he was greeted by the smell of delicious food. He smiled and shrugged off his coat. He gave Grandma Pinako a light hug and walked into the living room, greeting everyone else.

Riza gave a wave and Roy just smirked at him. Ed rolled his eyes and was shocked when Ling enveloped him in a hug. Lan shook his hand and Gracia gave him a soft hug, like mothers do. He said Hi to the other military workers and hugged Mei and Alphonse. Then he looked down to see Elicia.

Still small as ever, she had taken some of her father's features. His bright eyes, smile, plastic attitude. Ed kneeled down and opened his arms, Elicia running into them. Her picked her up and swung her around. She was still small, about five maybe.

She giggled and hugged him tightly, brightening up Ed's expression.

"Hi there Elicia! How are you?" She smiled.

"I'm good. How are you Uncle Edward?" He smirked before replying.

"I'm good. A little nervous." Little Elicia's face changed to worry.

"Why are you nervous?"

"Well you see. I need your help." He leaned in and whispered into her light brown hair. "I'm gonna ask Aunt Winry to marry me." That little girls eyes shot open and she began to become super excited.

"Really?! Ooh, how do I help?" Ed sat down on the couch and sat her on his lap.

"First, this is a secret okay? Pinky promise?" He held out his pinky and intertwined it with her much smaller one. She nodded.

"Secondly, I need you to carry the ring. Alright? It's in a little box. I made it with bits of my old automail that Aunt Winry made. Promise not to lose it?"

"I promise." Ed looked around cautiously, realizing everyone was already eating, and slipped a red velvet box out of his pocket. She held it in her small hands and smiled a precious smile. He kissed her cheek and picked her up, carrying her to dinner.

After everyone had finished and were hanging out, people started giving Winry her presents. Lots of the gifts were things like new wrenches, tools, and more automail parts. Ed gave her a fake present, which was a new pair of earrings.

Grandma Pinako stopped in the middle of presents to sing happy birthday and pass out apple pie. Then, things resumed. The last present remained.

"Aunt Winry, Here your present."

"Aww, thank you sweetheart."She reached down and hugged her niece. That's when she opened it up. She sat in confusion.

"I already opened this. It said it was from Ed." She mumbled.

"Oh, that's the one I got you. This is what Uncle Ed got you." Elicia pulled the velvet box from her pocket and handed it to Winry.

Winry slowly opened it. Tears clouded her vision at the beautiful ring. It was pure metal, with small little stones in it. A bigger stone sat in the middle. Then she read the engraving.

"Winry Rockbell, the love of my life." She breathed in and looked around for the culprit. Then she was spun around to Ed on one automail knee.

"Winry, you deserve a proper engagement. Not one when I'm about to leave. One that's true and not rushed. I made that ring out my old automail, with help from your grandmother."

Winry looked over at her grandmother with teary eyes. She smiled and muttered a "Thank you."

"You took my heart of stone and made me feel human again. So here I am, down on one, automail knee, asking you to be Mrs. Edward Elric."

She looked down at him, tears flowing like waterfalls.

"Gosh Edward, it's about time. I thought you'd never ask. Again." She sighed and smiled. "But me and Al already hooked up so." Edward just laughed and grabbed her hands. She looked back at Al as he gave her a thumbs up.

I'm just kidding, of course I say Yes!!!" She screamed and leapt into Ed's arms. He spun her around and slipped the ring on her finger. She laughed and hugged him tightly.

"Thank you Elicia!" Said Ed as he smiled at his little niece. She smiled and gave him a thumbs up. He kneeled down next to her and gave her a hug, Ed a little teary eyed.

"My daddy would be proud that you manned up." Ed smiled and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Ed had never kissed Winry before that day. So when he got up and pulled back from their hug, he leaned in and kissed her. Sparks flew and something new was experienced. As they pulled back, foreheads touching she smiled.

Mrs. Elric. Had a nice ring to it. Winry Elric.