04. Present Interests

Start from the beginning

"Unlikely."

"Benedict, please."

Benedict gave a huff as looked back upon his sister who regarded him with an expression of such desperation that the man found himself in no position to refuse her.

So, opening the door before the two of them, he closed his eyes, knowing he would come to regret his decision, and conceded.

"Alright."

***

"DARE I ASK, WHAT HAS you looking so smug?"

The sound of her uncle's voice caused Belle let out a soft exclamation of surprise as he called to her from where he stood by the garden door.

He had found Grantham girl in the garden seemingly regarding the blossoming sunflowers, but the smirk on her lips told a different story as her gaze fixed itself through the jungle of flowers and towards the Bridgerton residence. Or, rather more specifically, the swatches of visitors that passed through its doors.

"Oh, nothing." She gave a content hum as she turned to face her uncle. "It merely seems a little bet I made with myself came to fruition."

"And what bet was that?"

"That the Bridgerton household would be overrun with suitors for Daphne this morning." Belle clarified as her uncle clasped his hands behind his back, and strained his neck so as to look himself.

"Ah, and is the Duke of Hastings amongst them?"

"Simon?" A wry chuckle escaped Belle's lips. "I don't believe he would ever stoop to such levels."

"You don't believe he has an interest in Daphne?" Leopold queried, but Belle continued to smirk.

"I didn't say that."

Her uncle shot her a knowing look before straightening up and clearing his throat.

"Well, you're not the only one betting on debutantes."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Belle quirked an eyebrow although all her questions were answered as her uncle handed her a pamphlet.

"A new issue of Whistledown." He divulged, leaving Belle to let out a slight scoff of surprise.

"Why, Uncle, I thought you'd despised scandal sheets." The girl chuckled, as she scanned the first couple of words. "Why are you entertaining this?"

She tore her eyes from the pamphlet to look upon the man who merely shrugged, but his eyes bore a strange twinkle.

"It brings a smile to your face."

Belle cocked her head to the side and pursed her lips, shooting him a disbelieving look.

"Are you feeling alright?" She jested as she started forward, beginning to fan the man with the issue of Whistledown. "I thought you would slept off the worst of all that brandy you drank, and you did drink rather a lot-"