Prologue

Third Person POV:

Tanjiro had been injured from the conductor trying to stab Inosuke, but Tanjiro blocked the Conductor's path and was stabbed instead. Despite having been stabbed, Tanjiro fought on until Enmu, the Lower Moon One, was slain and the train jumped the track. After Tanjiro had killed Enmu, he laid on the ground, thinking he was at the end of his line. Then, the Flame Hashira, Kyojuro Rengoku, appeared before him and told him how to stop his bleeding. The passengers on the Mugen Train were safe and everyone could return home. But, another threat loomed on the horizon.

Right as the demon slayers had thought the mission had been completed, a new challenger approached them. A ruthless and competitive demon named Akaza appeared. Akaza held the title of the "Upper Moon Three" rank, and his mission was to kill the boy with the Hanafuda Earrings (and slay a Hashira). Akaza attacked Tanjiro, but Kyojuro countered his attack. Akaza backed away to regenerate the arm Kyojuro had so mercilessly sliced in half.

Akaza complimented how fast Kyojuro was able to react to his attack. He offered Kyojuro a chance to become a demon like him. Kyojuro declined and they entered into battle. Tanjiro and Inosuke, who were watching on the sidelines, were completely in awe of the Hashira's power. Tanjiro tried to get up and help Kyojuro, but he told Tanjiro to stay down and heal.

As the fight continued, Akaza continuously complimented Kyojuros sword fighting abilities and his speed. Akaza kept offering to make him a demon, and Kyojuro kept declining. Kyojuro used many powerful attacks on Akaza, but they were no match for Akaza's regeneration speed. Finally, Kyojuro started to get tired from the fighting. Akaza paused and watched as the Hashira hesitated. Again, Akaza offered to make Kyojuro a demon, so that the both of them could fight for the rest of eternity together. Kyojuro did not find that appealing and attacked Akaza again.

After being continuously toyed with by Akaza, Kyojuro decided to finally end this fight. He unleashed his strongest attack, Purgatory, on Akaza. Of course, Akaza's reaction to Kyojuro unleashing Purgatory was unexpected, but not surprising. Akaza got very excited and said that Kyojuro had to be a demon. Kyojuro sliced through Akaza several times. The shockwave and flames from each side hitting each other created a massive wave of dust and dirt. Tanjiro and Inosuke couldn't see anything.

Finally, when the dust settled, Tanjiro was devastated by the sight he laid his eyes on. Despite having been slashed three times, Akaza had pierced his arm through Kyojuro's stomach. Kyojuro spat out blood. For the last time, Akaza begged Kyojuro to become a demon, saying that he'll die with a wound like that. Akaza told him that Kyojuro's strength is what made him truly special. Of course, Kyojuro got a flashback from his childhood. His mother had told him that the reason he existed was to protect others. Kyojuro lived by her words, and lifted up his sword and struck Akaza's neck.

Akaza was surprised that Kyojuro could even move still and tried punching Kyojuro, but Kyojuro grabbed his wrist and gripped it. Kyojuro's sword kept inching further through Akaza's neck, but that's not what Akaza was concerned about. What Akaza was fearing was the fact that the sun was rising and he couldn't get his arm out of Kyojuro's stomach to get away. Tanjiro told Inosuke to take this chance and behead Akaza. Inosuke charged at Akaza and finally, Akaza just ripped his arms off and retreated into the woods.

Tanjiro ran after Akaza and threw his sword through Akaza's back, but Akaza kept on running. Tanjiro insulted Akaza, saying that he was a coward and that he wasn't the winner. The true winner was Kyojuro who still was able to successfully keep everyone alive. Akaza wanted to go back and strangle Tanjiro, but that would mean certain death for him.

Tanjiro walked back over to Kyojuro, who had fallen to his knees. Tanjiro cried as Kyojuro gave his final speech. Kyojuro told Tanjiro to never lose the spark in his heart and asked him to tell his little brother Senjuro that he would always love and believe in him. Zenitsu and Inosuke walked over and started crying at his words as well. In his final moments, Kyojuro saw his mother in front of him. He asked her if she was proud of him, because his father had never acknowledged his success in becoming a Hashira. She told him that she was very proud, and Kyojuro smiled at her.

Kyojuro died with a soft and genuine smile on his face..

..

Or so we thought.