Chapter 5: Nocturne

Start from the beginning

Later, Liana and Clark go back to Byron's house with Mr

Later, Liana and Clark go back to Byron's house with Mr. Kent and Sheriff Ethan. They knock the door and Sheriff Ethan says, "Mrs. Moore?" Mrs. Moore says, "Oh. I'm sorry to disturb you, but I'd like to speak to your son." Mr. Moore says, "I'm afraid that's not possible, sheriff." Clark says, "Where is he?" Mr. Kent says, "Clark, let the sheriff handle this, please." Sheriff Ethan says, "He's not in any trouble." Mr. Moore says, "Look, I don't know what the hell's going on here, sheriff but our son is dead." Mrs. Moore says, "He drowned out in Crater Lake eight years ago." Liana says, "We just met him last night." Mr. Kent says, "My son says that you threatened him." Mr. Moore says, "I've never seen these kids before in my life. Look, it's taken all these years to get past this and you show up and pull a prank like this. What kind of parent would raise a child to do a wicked thing like that?" Sheriff Ethan says, "We're awfully sorry. Look, Jonathan. I think we should go." They close their door and Liana says, "They're lying." Clark says, "We saw him go in that house." Sheriff Ethan says, "This is a very awkward situation, Jonathan. " Mr. Kent says, "I know it is, Ethan, but you see if there's a chance that a young man's in trouble we wouldn't want that on our conscience." Sheriff Ethan says, "I'll get a warrant." Later, Liana and Clark go see Chloe and she says, "It looks like your tortured artist is an unfortunate member of the dead poets society. The certificate of death was signed by Dr. Emile Jenkins." Clark says, "It has to be fake." Chloe says, "Not that I don't trust your judgment but could it be possible that goth boy maybe is --" Liana says, "I don't think a ghost could polish off three pieces of chocolate cake and two cappuccinos." Chloe says, "I was just checking. I mean, this is Smallville. Well, I ran Dr. Jenkins' name through the computer and found out something very interesting. Eight years ago, he supervised a medical trail over at Metron Pharmaceuticals." Clark says, "Let me guess, Byron was a participant." Chloe says, "Yeah, they were all kids who had exhibited antisocial behavior." Liana says, "But that doesn't sound like Byron. He's so gentle." Chloe says, "Could it be that our new Shakespeare has a-stirred the heart of our young Juliet?" Liana slightly glares at Chloe and says, "Chloe." Chloe smiles and says, "What? You did tell him you have a boyfriend, right?" Liana says, "Yes, I did. Although it's not everyday that you meet someone who's into poetry. We should start looking for Byron." Clark says, "No, we should wait and see what the sheriff finds." Liana slightly rolls her eyes and nods. Later, Liana's at the Talon. Liana sees Clark and says, "I just got back from seeing Pete. He told me what happened. Thanks for the call." Clark says, "Look, Liana, I--" Liana says, "Why did you lie to me, Clark? Byron's my friend and I wanted to help. You cut me out." Clark says, "I didn't want you to get hurt." Liana says, "Is that it or you don't trust me?" Clark looks down and then looks back up at Liana and says, "You haven't seen Byron, have you?" Liana says, "No. But if I had, you'd know already because I'd have been honest with you." Chloe comes over and says, "Okay, so I think I figured out why our would-be Shakespeare went all pro wrestler on you. Jeez, is it just me or did it get cold in here?" Clark says, "What'd you find?" Chloe says, "Um, well, the drug that Byron was given during the medical trials targeted his adrenal system." Clark says, "It says here they were looking for a cure. We need to track down the company." Chloe says, "It's too late, Metron Pharmaceuticals was shut down before they even finished their research." Liana says, "Why would they do that?" Chloe says, "I don't know but maybe Clark should ask his mom's new boss." Clark says, "Lionel Luthor owns Metron." Chloe says, "Just one of the many LuthorCorp subsidiaries that promise a brighter future." Clark says, "I'll talk to Lex." Chole says, "Um, I'd love to help you, but Pete just sent out an SOS for his PlayStation II, so good luck." As Liana goes to leave, Clark says, "Where are you going?" Liana says, "To look for Byron." Clark follows her and says, "Wait, Liana, my dad, Mr. Moore and half the sheriff's department are out searching." Liana says, "Are you telling me I should stay here and pour coffee?" Clark says, "No, I'm saying you should be careful. Byron's not the same guy. If you see him, don't get too close. Call someone." Later, Liana goes to the cemetery to find Byron. Liana says, "Byron. It's me, Liana. I, I wanna help you." Byron turns to face Liana and he gets up to walk towards her and says, "I was down there for eight years. I'm not goin' back." Liana says, "You could hurt people like this. The Byron I met wouldn't want that. I know who did this to you. It was LuthorCorp. Clark's talking to Lionel Luthor's son. They can find a cure." Byron says, "There is no cure." Byron grabs Liana and Liana says, "Byron, no." Byron says, "I want you." Liana pushes Byron away and he says, "They made into someone no one can love. Not even you." Byron pushes Liana and she screams. Liana hits her head on a tombstone and is knocked out. Later, Liana goes to the hospital to visit Byron and Byron says, "I can't believe I didn't hurt you, Clark." Liana comes in Byron's room and says, "Some people are just lucky." Clark says, "Hey, how's the wrist?" Liana says, "Ah, it'll be better in a couple of days." Byron says, "I can't believe I--" Liana softly says, "Hey, don't worry about it. I know it wasn't you." Byron says, "You're brave to come and find me." Liana smiles and says, "A friend warned me to be careful. I should have listened to him." Liana looks at Clark with a soft smile and he looks right back at her. Byron says, "Let me see your hand." Liana gives him her hand and they both softly smile at each other.

The next day, Liana goes to see Clark

The next day, Liana goes to see Clark. Liana says, "You pulled one of your trademark disappearing acts last night." Clark says, "Well, I figured, uh you could use some time alone with Byron." Liana sees a book sticking out of Clark's back pocket and takes it out. Liana smiles and says, "Sonnets? Not exactly your usual reading." Clark says, "Byron was really into them. I thought maybe I could learn somethin'." Liana says, "What'd you think?" Clark says, "They really weren't for me." Liana says, "An honest answer. I like that." Clark says, "Liana, I'm-I'm sorry for not being straight with you from the beginning." Liana says, "It's okay. When I confronted Byron, I, I got so scared. The first person I thought of was you." Clark says, "Really?" Liana says, "I thought, "If Clark was here, he'd know what to do." I thought I could save him. I just ended up making things worse." Clark says, "You were trying to help a friend. There's no harm in that." Liana softly smiles and says, "I hope Byron's gonna be okay." Liana pushes her self up to sit on Clark's trunk. Clark says, "It doesn't bother you that he's so--" Liana says, "Different? If you really like someone you accept every part of them. But you can't do that until they're willing to share every part with you." Clark says, "I think people like Byron... he keeps a part of himself hidden so he doesn't scare people away." Liana softly says, "If you wanna get close to someone you have to take that risk." Clark says, "What if the risk is too big to take?" Liana says, "Then you might miss out on something that could be pretty amazing. Listen Clark, I've have done some thinking and I miss hanging out with you. I have accepted your apology and I hope that we can go back to being friends again." Clark smiles and says, "I'd like that." Liana softly smiles at him and leans her head on his shoulder and they both enjoy each other's presence.