Astray (1/4) || 14

Start from the beginning

she remembers the first day she moved in with him, park minjoon, at the age of seven and became his lovely daughter in less than a month. he would buy all kinds of toys and chocolates and dresses and play princess with her, the only condition being that she should follow the rules.

do not go out of the mansion.

do not open any door without permission.

aera once had the audacity to go against him and learned to never disobey the man ever again. moreover it was the day she realised he can never be her father no matter how hard anyone tries, and she can never be perfect enough to be the kind of daughter he wished to have. by the time she turned thirteen the punishments had gotten much worse and painful, with all the electric current that ever ran through her body, a spark of getting away from him ignited inside her, and after weeks long of gathering enough courage and planning an escape out of his territory, two days ago it became the day she ran out to get away, to find a new life, or die finding a new life. but there was no way she could let herself be locked in that mansion, being a murderer's daughter and watch people dying before her eyes everyday.

aera's attention comes back to earth when charley shifts a little, standing up cautiously and looks around. a few footsteps huddle together, sounding closer and closer every second as if they were running towards the same direction. the girl gasps, shifting behind the dumpster, her index finger pressed on her lips as she gestures charley to stay quiet.

"i'm sorry, sir! please leave me!" a man cries, as he's pushed into the alley by another man.

aera closes her eyes tightly, clutching on the dog's fur to avoid having him pouncing on the strangers as they fight, more like one beating the other. she peeks out a little, a middle aged man is on the ground, groaning in pain, clutching his bleeding thigh while the other man is glaring down at him, having a gun pointing at the crying male.

it's too dark to make out any of their faces, but aera's certain that man holding the gun has tattoos inked on his hand. his hair is long and black, damp with, probably sweat. a dark chuckle rolls out of his lips, as he shakes his head shifting the bangs out of his face, making the dim streetlight fall on one side of his face. aera stares for a second, trying her best to recall if she ever saw the man, because if she did, he means nothing but danger.

the gunshot echoes quite loud despite the silencer, making her flinch. charley levels up in an instant, barking at the man whose attention now shifts to the dog, leaving the dead man's figure for a while.

he steps forward, tilting his head at the dog, "hey, how come you're here at this time?" his voice sounds deep, almost alarming for aera as her mind keeps reminding her of the weapon he's armed with. charley takes a defensive step forward, standing in a fashion that shouts out, do not come near her or you'll be having your arm torn off.

the man has his brow arching at the raging canine, pulling his hand back when the dog snaps his jaw being a blink away from the bite. he stands and peeks over behind, curious of what the dog is trying to protect with such determination.

aera hunches down, as the man chuckles. the amusement clearly displays on his sharp features with a raise of his eyebrows and a smirk lifting the left corner of his mouth which widens on noticing that the girl is scared.

"tell it to shut up." he orders, pointing his gun at the dog, making aera gulp as she tugs on her pet's hind leg, pulling him closer to herself. loosing charley would be worse than going back home.

"charley," she whispers, hugging the dog, "shh, i'm okay."

the man crouches in front of them, ignoring the frequent growls from the garman shepherd as he's standing beside the girl now. "what are you doing here?" he asks with a voice that confirms for aera that this guy just killed a person and won't hesitate killing her or her dog too.