Chapter 2 | now, maeve works and knits

Start from the beginning

"I'd like to see her try," said Maeve, but sighed. "Yeah, I...I get it. I understand where you're coming from. I'll re-write it in a bit and have it ready by the time you're back?"

Xenophilius grinned, clapping her back. "That's my girl." He returned to his desk, wearing his outer robes and scooping up his belongings in his hands. "Alright then, I'm off. I'll see you in the evening."

"Bye!" Maeve called out, waving him goodbye. "I'll have the reports signed and kept on your desk along with the articles written today for you to proofread and the layout to print?" After Xenophilius made an affirming noise, Maeve called out, "Give a hug to Pandora for me!"

"Will do," Xenophilius called back, exiting.

Once Xenophilius left, Maeve focused on the documents he'd handed her, reviewing them and signing at appropriate places. Then, she glimpsed at the agenda for the day she'd listed in her diary, writing numbers beside them in order of their priority. Eventually, she closed her diary and stretched lightly, before rising to her feet and heading to Xenophilius' desk. Sorting through the pile of files, she finally found the one he'd kept specifically as potential pieces of articles for the next day's newspaper.

Since Maeve normally looked after the morning half and Xenophilius, the evening, he was the one tasked with proof-reading, selecting and organising articles in time to print them while Maeve focused more on creating said articles, assigning duties and co-ordinating with the Quibbler reporters, making sure they met the deadlines and handling anything else that came up during the day.

Thus, Xenophilius and Maeve, in the small time frame they could speak before they headed off separate directions—unless in exceptional circumstances and disregarding the plethora of letters they wrote to communicate with each other—had little time to effectively explain all that occurred while the other was gone. With the Quibbler being only six months old, both of them were beyond reluctant to be kept in the dark regarding anything; which was why they'd taken to writing reports of their shift and leaving it on their desks for the other to read and also, gave full permission to each other to look through their desks for any document, report or files they needed. Neither Xenophilius nor Maeve had anything to hide. They weren't politicians, after all.

Tucking the file under her arm, Maeve picked up the previous night's report as well and returned to her desk, scanning and reviewing, her shoulders loosening upon realising there hadn't been any sudden attacks, riots, or murders—just cases of petty theft and the scandal of a Lady of an old house who was revealed to be four-months pregnant when her husband had returned from his three-month trip abroad the previous day; and Xenophilius informing her the reporters that had been sent to cover the building stories.

When Maeve reached the article she'd left on her desk for Xenophilius the previous night, she cringed, because yes, there might have been a slight chance that the way she'd written it hadn't been exactly what one would call 'professional' or 'unbiased'.

SUSPICION CAN LEAD TO IMPRISONMENT: CALLING WEREWOLF WON'T GIVE THE BENEFIT OF DOUBT TO THE ACCUSED ANYMORE, ONLY HANDCUFFS.

Minister Bagnold's new bill to authorise Aurors and lawmakers to imprison those Individuals suspected of committing terror without a trial.

Allegation, Trial, Imprisonment — three steps that children playing Auror and dark wizards know, but the esteemed Wizengamot and the Office of the Minister of Magic apparently dislike. The new bill to be passed by the legislating body this weekend, on the 22nd of August, bestows power to the Aurors to not only catch but also imprison those individuals they find suspicious without a trial.