Chapter 2: Back to School

Start from the beginning

"I'm here, kid... Shh... I'll go with you to the door." With a tiny kiss on the teenager's forehead, the devil replied softly. Remus cast an anxious glance up at the demon as they stepped out of the home. "You're going to be okay. Promise." With a grin, Betelgeuse said.

"Do you mind if we hold hands?" Remus inquired. When Betelgeuse put his hand in his, he knew the answer. They started walking towards the portal that would allow Remus to exit the Neitherworld. They didn't say anything at all. They simply strolled silently beside one other. It wasn't an awkward quiet; neither of them felt obligated to say anything.

Betelgeuse broke the stillness as they arrived at the door.

"That's it. This door will lead you to the living world. I'm sure it'll be easy to find your school, kid." Even though he had a small grin on his face, he appeared sorrowful as he talked. With his eyes still swollen from crying, Remus offered the demon a loving grin and a nod. He carefully opened the door and was ready to step through when he felt a sandpapery touch on his shoulder, which caused him to turn back. "Hey, kiddo, I know it's tough, I really do, but you'll be alright, and isolating yourself isn't the solution, trust me, I know." Remus was a little choked and perplexed by his profound comments. What did he mean when he said he knew? Apart from an abusive mother, what was his background? He glanced about for his barings, but couldn't find them. He looked at his phone to see what time it was. 7:58. He had till 8:30 a.m. to go to school and figure out where he was going. He took a stroll along the street but didn't recognise anyone or anything. He became a little nervous, but continued strolling in the hopes of running into someone from his school. He observed three lads all wearing the same outfit as him strolling together and decided to follow them, keeping his distance and listening to the Les Misérables sound track through his headphones. 'The Confrontation' was the current tune. This was a favourite of his. He became so engrossed in the music that he couldn't see the individuals he was following when he glanced up again. Fortunately, he had a contingency plan in place. Google Maps. He opened the app and began typing his school's name. By 8:22, he should be there. After following it for a while, he realised where he was heading. He arrived at school on time and needed to update some information on his student record first, so he headed to student services. He knocked on the door of his pastoral year leaders' office. He was met by a pleasant-looking man who smiled as he opened the purple-painted door.

"Hello, Remus. Come in and have a seat" he stated.

"Hello, Sir." Remus gently responded. His year leader inquired,

"Have a pleasant summer?"

"Yes, that was good. The last two weeks were fantastic!" With a broad smile on his face, Remus responded.

"That's good," the elder man said with a smile.

"I also have some news to share with you."

"Then what is it?"

"I've been adopted!" Remus, as well as the year's leader, celebrated. "That's fantastic. Is that why you had such a good time the previous two weeks?" 

"Yeah!" Remus's grin became even wider.

"So, where are you living now?". When Remus informed him of his new address, the year leader updated the system. He questioned, clicking the button to modify this, "Who adopted you?" 

"Lawrence Shoggoth. Do you want his phone number?" Remus inquired.

"Please, yes." Remus pulled out his phone with permission, as phones were prohibited, and retrieved the number, which he showed to the group leader. He also requested if he could meet with the school counsellor for a couple meetings after outlining all his previous foster parents had done to him.