Chapter 32: Change

Magsimula sa umpisa

Even if Minister Kingsley was on their side now, it was too late. Too many lives had already been lost. Too much hurt had been caused. She was scared. They had promised change before and that was awful. She didn't trust the ministry.

She heard several footsteps and voices near her and soon her three best friends appeared. "Oh, Cassie!" Padma said, falling into her arms. Cassie groaned in pain, Pomfrey's spell was fading. "I'm so sorry."

"It's okay," Cassie said, hugging Padma even tighter. She didn't care. She needed a hug from her best friend. "Thank you. I'm sorry."

"You've nothing to be sorry for," Padma reassured her. "I'm just so glad you're back. Oh, we really thought we were going to lose you. I love you." Cassie sighed and nodded.

"I know... I'm really glad I'm still here too. And I love you too," she whispered. Padma kissed her forehead before letting her get crushed by a motherly hug from Mandy who had tears in her eyes. "Hi Mandy."

"I love you. I am so proud of you. I am so happy you're still here and oh! I just love you so much, Cassie," Mandy rattled on. Cassie hugged her tightly, closing her eyes for a moment. "I love you so much."

"I love you so much too," Cassie whispered. Hermione was next, greeting Cassie with yet another tight hug.

"I'm so sorry about what happened. We're already working and on it and-"

"Just hug me for a second, okay?" Cassie whispered. Hermione nodded, immediately shutting up and hugging Cassie as tightly as ever. "I love you. Thanks."

"I love you too," Hermione whispered. They all sat down next to her bed, looking at her with worried eyes. "So..."

"I don't know," Cassie sighed. "Nev and Minerva told me a bunch but... I'm still a little hazy. I just can't believe that after that everything will change all of a sudden." Hermione nodded and sighed.

"I know. But it will. Me, Percy and McGonagall have been in a six-hour meeting with Minister Kingsley the day after and tomorrow the Italian Minister of Magic will come by to further elaborate on their werewolf registry. Maevis has been fired and Harry for sure won't let this continue to happen and-" 

"Could we just talk about something else for like... five minutes?" Cassie asked. "Just five minutes is all I ask." They nodded.

"Of course. Percy and I are thinking about moving in together. It's soon but... we're ready. I'm almost always over at his flat anyway," Padma told her.

"Next on the marriage list, Padma, Hermione or Cassie? I place my bets on Cassie," Mandy said. They laughed a little.

"I call Hermione," Cassie said. Hermione blushed. "What? Holy fuck, Hermione!?"

"WHAT!?" Padma and Mandy screamed. Hermione giggled and pulled a ring from her pocket. Their eyes widened and squeals of happiness were heard throughout the hospital wing.

"No way!"

"It's gorgeous!"

"Congratulations, Mione," Cassie said, reaching forward for another hug. Padma and Mandy joined in on the hug, all giggling happily. "Oh, this is so exciting."

"He the day before... I didn't say anything because well... it wasn't the time for it," she said gently. "I am so happy though. I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with him." She looked at the ring and they all knew how much she meant it. Hermione and Ron were the typical friends to lovers trope and they were perfect for each other in Cassie's opinion.

"Oh, this is fantastic news, Hermione," Mandy said. They went on talking about Hermione's engagement, Mandy's wedding planning and Padma's life more and more. For a moment Cassie wasn't sad or scared or stressed. For a moment she was Cassie. For a moment it was all okay.