Chapter 32: Change

Start from the beginning

"He didn't do anything when I spoke to him," Cassie said. "He let them get me."

"He wasn't aware of Maevis' plans. Maevis has been arrested and is facing a trial." Cassie huffed. "The minister is on our side. Kingsley was with us in the war too and-"

"How many died on the night of the full moon?" she asked. Neville took her hand and gave it a squeeze as an attempt to calm her down but she didn't want to be calmed down. She wanted to rage, she wanted to be angry. She was angry.

"Cassandr-"

"How many?"

"Six," Poppy told her, shooting Minerva an apologetic look. Tears burned in Cassie's eyes. Tears of anger, of sadness for the people who had lost their lives.

"And it was nearly seven, counting you so please calm down," Minerva told her sternly.

"How can I calm down, Minerva? How can I calm down when all our fighting is for not-"

"Don't you dare say it has been for nothing, Cassie," Minerva said, getting frustrated. "It has not been for nothing. Too many people have lost their lives, correct. But the morning after the full moon, Poppy along with several other healers hurried over to help heal the other people, saving many more in the process. They were all seen off home safely and the register is now under review."

Poppy placed her hand on Minerva's arm, giving it a gentle squeeze. "I just want it to be over," Cassie said, her voice breaking and a tear slipping out of the corner of her eye. "I'm tired. I don't want to fight anymore. I just want them to listen."

"They are listening, love. They finally are. It took them way too long but they are. All the Aurors that were fighting against us are being questioned and examined by the new Head Auror," Poppy told her gently.

"Who?"

"Harry," Neville said. Cassie frowned. If Harry was the new Head Auror and if he had been honest then change would certainly happen. Cassie felt a twist in her stomach. "Take it easy okay? You don't have to do it alone and you don't have to do it all at once." She looked at Neville and reached out to hug him tightly, no matter how much it hurt her. "Careful, sunflower," he whispered.

"I love you," she whispered.

"I know," he smiled. "I love you too. So much." He hugged her a little tighter. She couldn't imagine how scared he must have been of losing her. She heard Poppy and Minerva shuffle away silently to give them a moment of privacy.

"Sorry for being so... irritated, I just-"

"Hey, don't be sorry," he told her, pulling back slightly to look at her. He wiped the tears off her cheeks. "I understand. I just want you to take a moment to heal and... wake up, you know? You were... you almost died, Cassie. I almost lost you and I... I can't. I can't lose you." She nodded, biting her lip. She stroked his cheek gently.

"I know. I'm here, Nev. I'm right here," she whispered. "I'm not leaving you, okay? I'm still here." She rested her forehead against his, placing a soft kiss on his lips. "I love you."

"I love you." He rubbed his thumb on the side of her neck. She kissed him softly again, relaxing in his arms. She nuzzled her face into the crook of his neck and stayed there for a moment. They didn't speak but that was fine. That was good. "Would you like me to get Padma, Hermione and Mandy? They're incredibly worried." She nodded.

"I would like that." He gave her a quick kiss on her forehead before heading off. Cassie stared at the ceiling, trying to focus on her breathing. Everything was such... a mess, it felt like. She just wanted people to listen, to see how the ministry was killing them but she still felt like no one was.