Chapter One: Friendly Fight

Bursts of glowing sunlight flickered through the thick wooden canopies of the trees, illuminating passage through the lands to cold wet shores that sang with crashing waves and birdsong. Untouched nonetheless, with no blood spilled, yet. Though there were undoubtedly a few times a bug had been crunched and munched or chomped on, and maybe a fish froze a little too long, there wasn't much fighting or death here if the occasional bird fight and ant territory disagreements weren't considered.

Dew dripped off early fall leaves, bright and colourful with proper fall spectacular. Winter would draw near eventually, but this place if left untouched would continue to shine its beauty on all creatures who dared to disturb the fluffy snow with footprints and tracks.

More leaves fell and rustled, as branches violently swung around, in motions of something big coming through. A couple of early springs ago, a bear came through, but that was practically it. The birds flung their heads up in alarm, and as a human uncaring swung another branch to the side, all creatures ran with alarm. This place would surely fall like all other man-touched places.

The person pushed vegetation away and made their way to the clearing. They climbed around a side of the great protecting cliff, which overlooked the waterfall. A small cave lay indented in the wall, carving a sheltered spot for wandering animals, and once even housed a family of spiders who fended well there, all till the young refused to stay and went off on their own. Maybe this person will follow in the footsteps of those young spiders, the residents certainly hoped so.

They tucked themselves into the small cave, settling down and bringing out a lighter to burn unsuspecting bugs, and the few pushed in debris. Things went up in flames, and quickly news spread amongst the creatures of the dangerous being who had so effortlessly taken away a home, to thousands.

(The Person's POV)

With every twig snapping and every leaf crunching, I drew more anxious and aware of what was surrounding me outside. Undoubtedly there was something out there, but I could deal with a lot of some things as long as they weren’t particularly bad somethings. I figured I’d just stay here for the night till dawn, then see what was going on. Maybe following the waterfall would be a good idea.

I built a small contained fire, burning sticks, rubbish, and fallen leaves stuffed in the corners, to make room for proper sleep. Although I knew myself well enough to know sleep would not come, I felt better about myself knowing that it would be good sleep if it was sleep at all. Maybe staying awake would allow it even more appreciation…

No animals were in sight, I must’ve scared them off. I would’ve hoped to not have, as not only does that make me think about how other people might have heard it, but it also meant a natural alarm system would not be available for quite some time. My hands were finding themselves unoccupied, and my feet ached but I could not differentiate between exhaustion or the odd new feeling of relaxation being the culprit.

It had been so long since I rested. Around 8 days since sleep, and I wondered if the odd things I saw were my normal hallucinations, or something new. Then again, I almost always was very sleep-deprived, and my natural hallucinations blended with them to create graphics I could not describe to anyone who had not seen it. The feelings were even stranger.

I glanced out and sat cross-legged with my back against my bag, but after a few minutes, my head flew back and I realized I was definitely going to have to sleep. I yawned more, and quickly camouflaged the entrance, set the alarms, then hooked the alarms up to my earbuds. They'd beep loudly in my ears if something was identified to be a threat outside the entrance, but it would not know it was recognized.