Chapter Forty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Mom," Jenna gasped. "I love it. Thank you!" She beamed as she set the frame on her nightstand. Narcissa swallowed hard, realizing that she had unknowingly mirrored her mother. The picture of the four of them was on the same side of the room as Jenna's. It was also in the right corner where Narcissa's rested.

"We should get downstairs," her mother held out a hand for her to grab. Jenna looked at it for a moment before accepting it. Narcissa sighed they had a lot of work to do. "Are you nervous?"

Jenna shook her head, "This is the least nerve-racking event I've attended. You should have seen me on my first day of high school."

"Dreadful?" questioned Narcissa. Her daughter nodded before turning her attention ahead of her. It was awkward to have a conversation with her mother. They seemed too different to ever bond. Little did she know that her mother shared the same thought. However, it frightened Narcissa.

When they arrived in the dining room, Jenna was taken aback. It was decorated with periwinkle and gray balloons and streamers. A gourmet breakfast covered the table where everyone was currently seated. There was a large banner that read "Happy Birthday, Cosette!" in gray lettering. She knew that Cygnus must have been in charge of it.

  Elliot could see it in her eyes. She hated all of it. One thing that he knew about Jenna was that she disliked birthdays, specifically her own. It was challenging for her to look so happy. A fake smile appeared on her lips as her family rushed to greet her. A tug at her mind warned her that they were attempting to use legilimency.

  That wouldn't work, not today. Jenna was too guarded, even from herself. It was amazing she knew up from down at the moment.

"We have two hours," Druella said. "Then, we must get you ready for the ball,"

"We?" Asked Jenna.

"We're going to help you," Anita informed her with a large smile on her lips.

  Elliot patiently waited for Jenna to make a mistake. He wanted them to see her fake mask slip and see how uncomfortable she was. If she continued to fake it, none of them would learn. They need to understand that she isn't like them.

"Oh, thank you," she bit her inner cheek and continued to smile.

"You don't want us to help you?" Druella's question sounded like a statement.

Jenna paled, "I'm not opposed to it, but I believe that I won't need it." She saw hurt in Anita's eyes at the confirmation. "I'm sorry,"

"Yes," Narcissa gave a small smile. "Well, you are rather independent. We should have expected it."

  They ate silently this morning. A feast had been prepared and hardly any of it was touched. Jenna only drank pumpkin juice. The rest of them fiddled with the food on their plates until the house-elves came and collected them.

  Jenna walked up to her room to see a farmer back laying on her bed. She unzipped it and carefully pulled the dress out. Her jaw dropped at how beautiful it was.

"You will look great," Elliot said from the doorway.

"They're all upset with me," Jenna ignored the comment. "I didn't mean to do that,"

"They have to understand you as a person, Jen. What worked with Draco won't work with you. You have been on your own for too long. They will realize that eventually."

  Jenna nodded and turned away from him. She had charmed her hair to be straight as a ruler. Her makeup had been done in pink tones that appeared rather natural from far away.

"I'll see you down there," he walked out before anything more could be said.

  She took a deep breath. The day had gone by too fast. It had taken her three hours to get ready, another two were spared in the ballroom to finish decorating. It was nearly five.

"You need to get dressed. The party starts soon!" Andy's voice pulled her from her thoughts.

  In a cloud of smoke, Jenna's robe was replaced by her dress. It was rather simple but beautiful. The dress was white and skin-tight. It had one sleeve that was cuffed at her wrist. The material that covered her arm was sheer and loose, creating a whimsical look. A slit that started in the middle of her thigh went to the end of her dress and revealed the gold metallic shoes she had chosen. The top of her nose and skin around her eyes was covered by a golden mask.

"You look gorgeous,"