Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

I had to get out of here. I had to tell Skyler's parents, get Rayne and Jaden...

Not Rowan.

*************************

Skyler's parents were coming out of their front door when I showed up on the sidewalk a couple houses down. I knew for a fact that she had stopped taking her daily dose of elixir two days ago- her sense of hearing had sharpened significantly, and now I could feel power radiating from her skin in pulsing bursts. Her mother's head snapped up, eyes tight with suspicion. I nearly felt guilty for telling Skyler her story, but my first priority was to her and not her mother. I shoved off the thought and ducked my head as I continued a slow walk down the side walk, as if in deep thought.

"She's missing," I said to myself. She would hear. Her hand came up to fix her hair, but really, it was a way of covering up her reaction from her husband. Her hair gleamed a coppery gold in the soft light, and it stuck out among the dead grass and leafless trees. My heart tugged; it was so much like Skyler's. And now she was gone, and it was my fault.

"Where?" she murmured. "When?"

"Middle of the night. Sharves."

Her head whipped around, and this time she did not try to cover it up. David's confusion was palpable on the air. By this point, I was in front of their neighbors yard, almost upon them. He came around the car, offering a hand in greeting.

"Nice to see you. On your way to see Sky?"

I shook my head. "No, I was going to go later."

Skyler's mother tilted her head to the side, studying my face. "I will share everything. No need to make more up. Skyler had a good point, and..." Her voice caught. I assumed she meant telling her husband everything. Maeris, the shortened length for her true name, was a very strong creature with a prominent name for herself. It confused me to no end that she would have not mustered the courage to share it all from the beginning, but that was her business. To behold her in the flesh was almost stunning, now knowing what I did. She continued.

"David, I need to talk to you. It is time you knew the truth."

********************

Rayne and Jaden had a similar reaction as I. Jaden stepped up, surrounded by piles of dirty laundry and takeout garbage.

"Are you sure? She is gone?"

I nodded grimly. Their hotel room stank of cigarette smoke and bodily fluids that were not properly cleaned. I stuck to my clean corner and did not stray from it. "She was taken. The Sharves must have figured out where Jacob and the Smiths had gone, along with the others. And she is a half blood. They've most likely been tracking her since she began to mature."

"Come again?" Rayne coughed out. "Half blood? That's impossible. It isn't allowed. If..." She trailed off, connecting the dots. "The pain she was having. And Ariss acting so strange, separating us to talk to her alone."

I nodded. Jaden's brow furrowed. "Why did you not speak of this? That is important information."

Rayne rolled her eyes and began to chew on a blue painted nail. "Because you never seem interested in what I do."

Jaden really scowled now, back going tense. Before they could begin a fight, I cleared my throat. "We have more important things at hand, younglings. We need to find a ship, because I guarantee that she was taken off planet."

"Why do you think that?" Rayne asked. They began to flash around the room, cleaning up the trash and clothes, their luggage bags filling to bursting. "And who are you calling younglings, youngling?"