"What happened?"

~~~

"No, Rory, you don't have electricity stuck in your teeth," Sarah sighed.

"Phew," Rory sighed.

"So I come back from my apple run, and all the auditions are over," Benny said, staring forward.

"And the line for the nurse's office is out the door," Ethan added. "What happened?"

"Oh. Serena sang a beautiful song." Rory pulled out his phone and handed it to Ethan.

A few words came from the phone before a screech sounded that made me cover my ears. It sounded like a banshee was screaming.

"That's not what I heard." Rory shook his head, taking back his phone.

"That sounded like Wolverine was going to sharpen his adamantium claws on a chalkboard," I groaned.

Benny kissed the top of my head, holding me close to him. He grinned at the nerdy reference.

"There must be something wrong with my phone," Rory sighed.

"Or something wrong with Serena." Sarah looked at me and I nodded.

~~~

"First, the football team riots in the lounge, and then a talent show tryout turns into the boss level of MegaFightaloid IV," Ethan said as we walked out of the office.

"Quit making video game references I don't understand," Sarah complained.

"I felt like I was in a trance, but I forgot the song as soon as it was over," Rory explained.

"Maybe she's Justin Bieber," Ethan said as I snorted.

"Maybe she's a mermaid," Benny said in realization.

"The Bieber joke was funnier." Ethan frowned.

"No, I'm serious. Mermaids can mess with people's minds and hide their tails on land. We just need to splash some water on her and see if she grows fins," Benny explained.

"You do that, and I'll only be there for backup," I decided.

"Whatever the songbird is, just call (Y/n) and I when you want us to kick her butt, okay?" Sarah walked away.

"She doesn't have a butt. Mermaids don't have butts," Benny laughed immaturely as I rolled my eyes.

~~~

The boys used water guns to spray Serena with water. She looked at them in disbelief and made a threatening look. She walked over to us and swung at Ethan and me. We grabbed her and my eyes turned pure white.

Serena demented, screeching.

I snapped out of it and held my ears as I backed against a wall. I took deep breaths of air as I heard muffled voices.

"(Y/n). Baby, are you okay?" I heard roughly.

"No." I shook my head, my ear drums pounding. "Definitely not okay."

~~~

"Hey, guys." Ethan and I walked into the lounge.

"What are you doing here? You can't risk more exposure to Serena's song," Benny asked, looking at Ethan and me worriedly.

"When we were eight, and we went to see Buzzy and the Big Bee Band, and I cried-"

"He cried?" Rory questioned, laughing as I glared at him.