Chapter 8: Off Limits

Začít od začátku

"You what!?" My father roars.

"Sweetie, you're just confused." My mom says. I looked back and forth at them, confused by their reaction. All I did was answer their question. They asked me if I liked anyone in my class and I told them about Sam. They seemed cool at first until I said he was really cute.

"But you asked if I liked anyone." I say. "And I like Sam, he's really-"

"He's a boy." My dad shouted. What did him having to be a boy have to do with it? I just thought he was really nice and cool. Besides it was just a crush. It's not like we're engaged. I thought it was normal to get a crush when you're a kid.

"I'm a boy." I say, not understanding the problem.

"Exactly." My dad says. "You're supposed to like girls."

I mean girls are nice but I mean....I wouldn't really want to date one. How was that a problem?

"I'm calling your uncle." He says. "He's a pastor, he'll help you get that sinful idea out of your head." He says.

"Michael, don't you think that your brother is a little too-" My mom starts.

"He'll do what's necessary." My dad says walking over to the phone on the wall.

**
That weekend, my uncle came over.

"Thanks for coming." My dad says. "Can you fix him?"

What did he mean fix me? What was wrong with me?

"I certainly will try." My uncle says.

He walks over to me and kneels down so he can meet me at eye level.

"Hey Alex, so your dad tells me you like a boy from your class?"

I nodded. I never knew just a simple crush would cause this many problems. I wish I never told my parents about Sam.

"Well how about we change that?" My uncle says. "Come with me, let's go downstairs so we have a bit more privacy."

So me and my uncle down to the basement. I had a nicer basement then most people. It was basically set up like our first floor. Someone could live down there practically. Whenever we had guests, they normally stayed down here.

"Alright Alex, so tell me...how does this Sam kid make you feel." He asks, digging in his bag for something.

"Well...he's really funny and he has a gorgeous smile." I say. "I think he's kinda cute and-"

Before I could even finish, I felt a pain in my arm. My uncle had whipped me with a belt.

"You're supposed to feel that way about girls." He says.

"But why?" I ask. He whips me again, harder this time. Tears form in my eyes from the pain. I didn't understand why he was doing this to me.

"Because." Was all he said before whipping me again. I cry out in pain. My parents don't come running down, and my uncle doesn't stop.

Every weekend, my uncle would come over. He'd take me down to the basement and ask me how I felt about boys, and how I felt about girls. Every time I told him the truth, and he would whip me. Eventually I understood that me being a guy liking another guy wasn't socially acceptable. So, I started answering my uncle's questions they way he wanted me to. I didn't care that it was a lie, because the whippings stopped.

Present time

Me and Reggie were still waiting for Luke to begin reheresing. He was super late.

"I say we just start without him." I say.

"He'll be here." Reggie says. "I know he will, he has to."

"Reg, we don't have a lot of time left, I have a date with Willie in thrifty minutes." I say.

"Just one more minute." Reggie says.

"Fine, sixty seconds, but that's it."

Just then, Luke poofs in the studio. Finally.

"Sorry I'm late." He says, grabbing his gutair. "I got caught up with Renzo."

"Whatever, let's just get started." Reggie says.

"Oh wait, there's something I forgot to tell you about." I say. "A recorded labeler came by and wants to sing us."

"Really?! That's great!" Luke exclaimed. "We're finally getting our music out in the world!"

"I know, it's so exciting!" I say. "All you got to do his sign here." I say handing them the clipboard. They each signed their names and handed me back the clipboard. It was official, our music will soon be out for the whole world to hear.

"Oh yeah, by the way we have a gig tonight." Luke says. "Renzo invited us to play at this party."

"Sure, sounds like fun." I say. "Can I bring Willie?"

"Sure." Luke says.

"Hey Reg, you should bring that Lucy girl." I say.

"Yeah, okay." Reggie says. "Let's just reherse."