02 | OUT OF FOCUS

Start from the beginning

"I am na'vi, trust me." He whispered, keeping his posture and looking straight at Na'vieh's eyes. She narrowed her eyes at him, circling him like a predator. This act made her lower her weapon and tilt her head, before she asked. "What are you called?"

"Jake Sully." Na'vieh's heart dropped and silence came between them, Jake was still low on guard and eventually sat down the earthy soil, heavily breathing as he wiped his bleeding nose. But the girl wasn't fazed, she kept her eyes on him.

"You mean Toruk Macto?" Na'vieh asked gently, shocking the older guy.

"Yes, yes. I am not enemy." As Jake nodded his head at her in agreement, she had a sad look on her face. The sound of the vast night wind was what occupied her mind, she fell in a trance and thought about what she had just done. Na'vieh lowered her defense and looked at the ground with furrowed eyebrows and pursed lips.

This is a mistake, why would Toruk Macto seek ukturu? This is... Nonsense. Na'vieh had a lot to process in her mind. She looked defiantly and narrowed her eyes, waiting for a subtle movement that show signs that this was nothing but a mere lie. But the call never did came and she was left with him.

"How long have you been here, Jake Sully? Why did you leave your clan?" She asked, but surprisingly, he took this as a sign that she had forgotten the motive she had in mind.

"My family and I left for a reason."

As Jake explained right away to avoid any more problems, Na'vieh just looked at him with an unhappy face. She didn't even listen properly but he could sense his desperation, if it weren't for her head fogged up with the guilt of attacking an innocent person.

The moment Na'vieh was about to crouch down to pick up her spear, she felt her ear twitch as she felt a sudden movement. She thought at first that it was merely some Autrapede (pandoran animal), but it wasn't.

Until Na'vieh met the eyes of another, someone with deep amber eyes. Both Jake and her were alerted by a sudden presence and both was quick to do something. But unlike Jake who had a protective defense, Na'vieh was in for the kill as she sees another similar to the man he just fought, pointing an arrow at her.

She didn't need anyone to tell her that this was Toruk Macto's son.

"Neteyam, do not shot! Neteyam- No!" Jake wasn't quick enough to stop the boy and Na'vieh was forced to see herself get impaled by an arrow, cutting the flesh of her abdomen. The feeling of being thrown back slightly because of the strong impact made her numb, she thought she deserved it.

Na'vieh didn't show signs of struggle and took a deep breath before she looked back at the eyes of the boy, Neteyam. She looked at him to taunt him, and it worked. The boy stood frozen, eyes wide opens as he watched his dad rush over towards her.

She fell to the ground and laid flat on her back, Jake putting pressure on her wound as he tells her to calm down. But she was calm.

"Fuck, I almost forgot the feeling." Na'vieh mumbled, breathing heavily and seemed like she didn't even bother looking up herself and her state.

"Sir...?" Neteyam called out to his father, dropping his bow to the ground while recalling what he just did. Shaking, he was afraid to get an answer from him, but he was eager to know. "Did- Did I kill her?"

Na'vieh heard what the guilt strikken boy said and grimaced. As Jake decided to pick her up, she had the chance to once again meet those amber eyes.

"Of course not," Na'vieh answered his question, her eyes closing slowly as she reached out her hand to punch his chest. Neteyam could see her lack of ignominy, awestrucked.

"You're gonna have to put more than that to kill me."

JAKE:

JAKE: