Chapter 2 - Tease

Dan's Overhead

The next morning, Dan came back to his spot in the library, a fresh load of returns for him to sort through. Brooke had already been there for a while, since her shift started earlier than his.

“Dan,” she whispered excitedly when she saw him. “Come here! Come look at this!”

He came to her side and looked in the same direction she was staring. He was back, the same black-haired boy from yesterday, just reading all alone in the same spot as before.

“He came in as soon as we opened. He's just been sitting there the entire time. I like reading, but how can someone just read for hours and hours like that?”

Dan stared intently at him. He was reading “To Kill a Mockingbird,” and was almost half way done with it.

“Dan, are you listening?”

“Yeah, totally.”

“I know, it doesn't matter, but it's just a little strange, don't you think?”

“I guess so.” He didn't think it was strange at all. It was actually pretty cute that he was so into something.

“Oh well. Collin's in a good mood this morning, so feel free to nap. He's been on the second floor all day.”

The second floor had a Starbucks and conversation place, so it was a popular adult place to hang out. When Collin spent his time up there, he was in a good mood. Good moods meant Dan could do whatever he felt like.

“Alright, thanks.”

Dan sat himself behind his desk. He helped some people check out their books, continued to put away returns, and helped several people find what they were looking for. By then, he usually would 'take a break' a goof off.

But today, Dan couldn't keep his eyes off the boy reading. He held his chin in his hands and stared at him. He was handsome for sure. He smiled at the pages every once in a while. His little grin was precious. Dan wanted to see him smile more.

“Dan?”

“Brooke! Stop doing that!”

“Doing what?”

“Coming up behind me!”

“What do you mean? I was here the whole time.”

“You were?”

“You've been staring off into space.”

That was one way to put it.

“Either that, or I think you like the cute little bookworm over there.”

Brooke, from the beginning, always knew Dan liked boys. She was the first person he came out to, and she didn't really mind. “No!” he jumped at her.

“I think you should talk to him.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, you're nice! Go on, it'll be fine.”

Dan figured it was the best way to get to know him. He stood up and walked over.

"Hey," he said as he came to the table the boy sat at.

Without looking up, the black-haired boy shyly responded "Hi." He appeared to be shivering almost.
Dan gestured toward one of the empty chairs. "Can I sit here?"

Then he looked up from his book at him. He was quiet at first, and just stared at Dan's face. He looked scared. "You can sit.”

Dan took the chair and rested himself. "So, I couldn't help but notice that you really like to read, huh?"
He hid himself behind the book.

"Um, what's your name?"

"P-Phil," he stuttered. His arms appeared to be shaking.

"I'm Dan," he said, trying to get Phil to look at him.

Phil stuck a small piece of paper inside his book and held it to his chest, crossing his arms over it. “Why are you talking to me? What do you want?”

Dan was taken aback by this. Phil looked genuinely scared. Had he said something wrong already? "What? I just wanted to talk to you because well..." Dan thought aloud. Why did he want to talk to him so much? "I don't know. Sorry." He stood up and left for his desk.

Behind him, Phil sighed. He opened his book again and continued where he left off.

"How'd it go?" Brooke asked with a cheeky smile.

"Uh, not well. I think I messed up."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's ok. I don't know. I just really want to try again with him some time."

"Oh? A special one, yes?"

"You could say that."

"Well, I wish you luck."

"Thanks, Doll-Face."

"Shut up."

Phil's Overhead

It was so weird to him. Nobody comes up to talk to Phil unless they were part if the "gang." At least, that's what he called them.

That guy - Dan, was it? - he was beautiful. His skin was a lovely and flawless shade just slightly tanner than his. His hair was on the left in a similar fringe. He wore a name tag, so perhaps he worked at the library. Was he a new member out to attack him the way the others did? Phil decided not to ponder the thought. It would only make the anxiety worse. He kept his face in the book, like always, and tried to forget about the handsome other guy.

He is only a tease, Phil forced himself to believe. Only a tease and nothing more.