Chapter 7: Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Hello Jace, Ali," smiled Olivia.

Jace gave the top of her head a few pats. "It looks like someone got some sleep!"

"Oh get off," she exclaimed, swatting at his hand. Jace moved but wasn't able to dodge her rolled up newspaper.

Michael cleared his throat. Everyone froze. "If you're done fighting then can we please get down to business?"

Ali could swear his mouth was beginning to twitch into a smile but, that disappeared behind his mug of coffee.

"Sorry," mumbled Jace, rubbing the back of his head.

Michael gestured towards the chairs. "Why don't you and Ali take a seat? Do you want anything to drink?"

They both sat down and shook their head.

"Okay then," said Michael as he folded his hands. "Then let's get started. I wanted to bring this up at the meeting yesterday but it didn't look like that was going to happen."

Jace smiled sheepishly. "Sorry about that. I was having a bad day."

"Overstatement of the year from what I understand," chimed in Olivia.

"Yes," said Michael. "A much better improvement in your mood. I wonder why." he briefly glanced at Ali before continuing. "Anyway, we need to discuss a few problems we've had since your father passed and you left."

"What kind of problems?" asked Jace.

"We have complaints from the different pack leaders in other countries, and even from our people here, that something happened to you and we don't have anyone to replace your father."

Jace ran a hand down his face. "Don't they realize that it was complete chaos for a while and I'm probably being protected."

"Maybe," answered Olivia. "But that was four months ago. No other news has been released on you. Some even think you're dead."

"I'm sorry but can't he just make a quick appearance?" asked Ali.

Michael smiled. "It's not that simple."

"It never is," grumbled Jace.

"Jace!" exclaimed Olivia.

Michael held up his hand, sighing loudly. "It's okay Olivia. He has a right to be upset." Michael diverted his attention back to Jace. "And I'm very sorry that all this is happening but, you are an adult that has responsibilities."

Jace leaned back in his chair and folded his arms. "Quit beating around the bush and tell me what I have to do. It's not like I ever had a choice anyway."

Olivia stood up and swatted Jace so quickly with her newspaper that no one knew what happened until he was grabbing his head and wincing.

"Damn Olivia," he groaned. "You hit hard for an old lady."

"And I'll hit you again if you don't start behaving," she growled, waving the paper around like it was some kind of weapon. "Michael is on your side. Show him some respect."

Jace folded his arms again. "Fine."

Michael smiled. "Now back to what I was saying. It's time you start serving on the council. You need to make public appearances, show up at the dinners, greet people, and just generally participate in everything."

Jace laughed. It was so sudden that even Michael was surprised.

"So let me get this straight," said Jace, his voice cold and angry. "You tired so desperately to hide and protect me after my father passed. You ripped me from my home, forced me to go to another country, made me take some ridiculous pills, and put Ali and her family in danger. And now you want me to pretend line that never happened?"

Ali could sew the hurt in Michael's eyes but, he kept himself calm and just nodded. "It has to be done. We can't have our whole foundation crumbling. We'll have extra protection and I'm going to get Ali some additional training."

"This is unbelievable!" exclaimed Jace, throwing his hands into the air. "Are we done here?"

"Yes," replied Michael. "I'll be in contact with you."

Jace got out of his chair abruptly and waited for Ali to follow. She said goodbye to Michael and Olivia before trailing after Jace. Just as they were about to leave Michael cleared his throat.

"One last thing," he said. "I understand that sometimes close relationships can form when you're around someone a lot. I see no problem with this. In fact, I believe one day all shifters and humans will be mixed together. It's only a matter of time so it would be silly to fight it."

"Michael..." whispered Olivia.

He held up a hand and shook his head. "Not everyone agrees with me, though. Just make sure to keep your private life out of the eyes of the people."

Jace paused briefly before continuing out the door. Ali bowed her head to Michael and Olivia then practically ran after Jace. When she caught up he was already half way to their room. Just as she was about to ask him a question Juliet stepped in front of both of them.

"My father told me the great news," she said, flashing him a stunning smile.

Jace came to a halt and clenched his fists. "I heard a lot of news today and none of it was great."

Juliet completely ignored his statement and wrapped her andros around him. He froze as she rested her cheek against his chest.

Now it was Ali's turn to clench her fists. If she didn't know any better she would say that Juliet was purposely trying to get under her skin. Every chance she got to touch Jace she would take advantage of it. And after she pulled back she would andros roundly was smile at Ali. It was going to be a long eight months.

When Juliet let go of Jace he made it a point to dust off the front of his shirt. "What is it that you want,Juliet?"

"Just to congratulate you on taking your place with the council."

He brushed past her and gestured for Ali to follow. "That's not necessary."

"Fine," she said, sticking out her lip. "I'll see you at dinner."

Once they were in the room and the door was shut, Jace kicked the couch and let out a growl of frustration.

"What did she mean that she would see you at dinner? Do you guys have special plans?" asked Ali, not bothering to keep the irritation out of her voice.

"No," he said, slumping down onto the sofa. "If I'm part of the council then we have to eat dinner together a few times a week. I'm sure they'll want me there so they can all congratulate me."

Ali laid down next to him and gently placed her head on his chest. He wrapped both arms around her waist, pulling her as close as possible until she was practically on top of him.

"Should I come?" asked Ali.

"Probably not," he chuckled. "But you will anyway."

Ali smiled, kissing his jawline. "That's fine. If Juliet will be there than so will I."

Jace began absentmindedly stroking her hair. "I don't think it will matter for much longer. Michael made it pretty clear that he knows what's going on with us. As soon as I feel you're safe then I'll let the whole world know that I love you."

"I thought I was supposed to be protecting you?"

"Nope," he said, kissing the top of her hehead. "That hasn't been the case since we first kiss."

Ali wanted to object but, deep down she knew that he was one hundred percent correct.