A change in roles

It is the day after I returned home and I am worried. I have to take my mum's duties as well as my media duties for Hitech. Oh well, I just need to focus on my royal duties. I have a month before the racing starts anyway. So then my mum would be well. Right now I find myself engaging in a debate with my father.

"Look dad we need to release a statement now otherwise the people will worry," I declare. Even though I am not your typical princess I still care about the people.

"Yes, but it could just be the flu," My father responds. I really shouldn't argue with him but something tells me it is not that simple.

"Look, dad, the people will be wondering why I am taking on more duties when I am due to start my Formula 2 career in a month," I retorted. I notice that my father's shoulders sag. He is in a tough position. He knows I am right but there is the possibility that he is right. I could just be overreacting. I pray that I am.

"Why don't you ask the doctor for his opinion," My father suggests. A good point.

"I'll be back," I excuse myself. I head to my mum's room. What I am greeted with is horrible. I am glad that we have the relative privacy of the palace grounds.

"I'm sorry Princess but your mother has come down with the most severe strain of the flu. It is good news though as she will make a full recovery. I can't however tell you how long it will take," The doctor briefs me on the situation. Well, my mum will make a full recovery eventually. It looks like I will be taking on her duties for the time being. The first event was a visit to one of the schools. It should be easy so long as I conduct myself in a way that won't damage the reputation of my mum. She has enough to worry about. I mean I haven't had much practice as the practice that I have had relates to driving a race car not visiting a school. It is the day after and I am ready for my first royal engagement. I am taken to the main assembly hall where I am greeted by enthusiastic kids. I am not sure if it is due to the fact that I am a princess or a race car driver. It doesn't matter to me so long as they are engaged. As soon as the teacher explains what is happening a kid raises their hand.

"Do you ever get scared?" The girl asks.

"Yes. It is hard not to be scared. The trick is learning to control it," I reply. Hopefully, the girl is happy with my answer. She looks happy. I never know how people think and it bothers me. It doesn't take long for another hand to go up. This time it is a boy.

"How do you start racing?" He asks. So they are happy to be talking to a race car driver.

"Well I started in go-karts and with practice and as I got better I rose through the ranks," I explain. I am lucky that the kids will ask different questions. It is something that I have hated about normal interviews. After two hours of questions, my first engagement has come to an end and I am exhausted. I don't think I have the stamina that my mum has. I guess that I will have to build it up. It doesn't take long for me to head back to the palace. The thing is I won't be here long as I have a few more things to do for my mum. I have decided to get myself ready for travelling to Bahrain. I know I have a few weeks to get ready but something tells me that I will be busy before then. There is a knock on my door.

"Mind if I come in?" The voice belongs to my father.

"I don't mind. I am just packing for the race in Bahrain," I reply. I can tell that my dad wants to have an important discussion.

"Ok well I just came to make sure you are alright with double duties," My dad says. I am not surprised.

"The thing is dad, there are some long breaks where I can focus on my duties to Monaco. Besides, I have done it before," I explained. I just wish my dad would stop worrying. I am now old enough to know when things become too much. Well, this time the circumstances are different.

"I am sorry if I worry too much," My dad apologises.

"Don't worry about it, dad. It shows you care," I responded. There is not much that I can do about that. I also feel like my dad has the added pressure of looking after my younger siblings. Oh well, there is not much that I can do aside from offering to help. It has been a couple of weeks since then and I am finally on my way to Bahrain for the first event of the F2 season. Well, I say that but I am actually making my way through the airport at Nice. It is there that I will be meeting up with Liam. I am sure he will cotton onto the fact that I am a princess. The thought makes me giggle as I make my way to the family jet.

"I didn't know you were sponsored by an airline," Liam remarks as he joins me.

"Well, it's a little more complicated than that. I'll tell you more when we sit down," I respond as I head up the stairs. It will be interesting to see what his reaction is to me being a princess. We soon took our seats.

"So what do you want to tell me?" Liam gets to work on prying the information out of me. I take a deep breath as I mentally prepare to tell him.

"Liam, the reason why we are on this jet is that I am one of the princesses of Monaco," I blurted out. I brace myself for the backlash that I normally get however I am met with a stunned look from Liam. There is a hint of understanding as well. The truth is I would have told him sooner if we hadn't grown apart. Well, that is in the past now and I wish to heal our broken friendship.

"So it is your family's jet?" Liam asks.

"Yes," I replied. He soon gets to work on asking me other questions. Well, it looks like he doesn't really care about the fact that I am a princess. The thought puts my mind at ease. Another thought soon invades my mind. Would he tell me if he crashed into me on purpose all of those years ago? I shake the thought off as there is no point in lingering in the past. I guess I will find out at a later stage.