"Peter and Ivy are our new candidates." Joe said with a mischievous tone

"Peter and Ivy Mills..." Otis repeated hanging out his hand. Pete was going to shake but Otis just gave him the helmet and said " They're all yours"

Wow what a surprise this is going to be awkward but children are fun I thought but then Pete got an idea and asked "Um... who wants to try on a helmet?"

________________________________________________________________________________

After a while Pete and i both put our bunker gear on to show the kids some things, I began explaining what the pass alarm was "You see this" I said grabbing the pass alarm

"is a pass alarm, if a firefighter is totally still for more than 18 seconds, a loud alarm goes off until he moves again."

A little kid asked"Why?"

Pete responded "Well, if he's hurt or trapped, we'll know where to find him." And right after that the alarm went off.

Both of us said "that's loud" at the same time.

Subsequently a blonde man walked through the doors while Pete started explaining what squad three does

" See, this house is special because it has a rescue squad.Squad three serves a big piece of the city. They're experts at water rescue, extraction, pretty much everything.They're, like, the best of the best."

"Why aren't you with them?" a little girl innocently asked

Pete cutely smiled with a glimpse of hope in his eyes responding " Well, I mean, I plan to be."

"Our father was a part of this squad years ago" I said.

"Mills, right? Last to show, first to go. That's the rescue squad." The blonde man said pointing to the men sitting at a table near us.

"You truck guys do such a good job getting everything ready for us. Why would we want to
take that away from you?" A blue eyed guy shot back cockily

The blonde chuckles "Kids, you should know they make the rescue helmets extra big to fit their heads inside of them"

Blue eyed man instantly retorted "There are two types of firefighter. Those who are in squad and those who wish they were on squad."

"Ohh" the blonde man funnily said

I decided it was enough so me and Pete led the kids out of there saying "Come on kids "

Pete started talking to the kids when the alarms went off " Pin in accident . Columbus Drive Bridge. Ambulance 61, engine 51, truck 81. Squad three, battalion 25."

Me and Pete simultaneously got in action putting or boots and pants on, we then went to get our jackets at the lockers and ran back to the truck, where Joe was screaming "Let's go, let's go patting the firetrucks door.

It was finally happening after all these years and almost giving up on this career, it was hard to believe but I was happy, like i finally found my place on this cruel world.

Lieutenant Casey yelled "Let's go" shutting his door making me get out of my thoughts. The truck siren started wailing making me feel excited.

The ride was silent, well except for the sirens, Herrman was reading the newspaper, Mouch was just staring blankly ahead, Cruz was driving and the Lieutenant was concentrated on getting there. My brother was fumbling with his helmet, I could easily tell he was nervous , since I was sitting beside him I took one of his hands squeezing it for comfort, he squeezed it back smiling at me.