The method each branch was organized was without prior planning. As if anyone who revered Mara from somewhere would bring other believers together, and when they made a considerable number, they would be acknowledged as a branch. Then, the branch leader would become a priest after receiving holy powers from the High Priest. Rodrigo was dissatisfied with the cult’s lack of structure, as the High Priest did not intervene in governing the cult except for giving orders, when necessary, by showing Mara’s powers.

Therefore, someone had to become the center, like the evil god Mahar’s Sang-je, to gather the cult’s force. Rodrigo believed he could fulfil that role, as most believers would acknowledge his influence. There had been an incident twenty years ago, when Rodrigo had merely been the underling of a leading priest in a small branch, while a central branch had been the biggest out of all branches. Rodrigo was not an underling anymore, and being the leader, he could have strongly voiced his opinions in other branches and received special attention from the High Priest. If the central branch remained in power today, Rodrigo would not have gained this chance, as the leader or his successor would have still seized the cult.

However, that branch broke down instantly, as the High Priest showed wrath towards the faults committed by the leaders of the central branch. He had taken away the holy powers and excommunicated all of them. Some of the regular believers went into other branches, and others scattered. No one in the cult knew what the leaders had done, as the High Priest only communicated that ‘he had punished the criminals who committed an unforgivable sin.’ As Rodrigo could not, the other priests too could not lift their heads in front of the High Priest, let alone ask him what the matter had been.

‘Had Anika been involved in that incident?’

What had that leading priest of that branch done then? Rodrigo felt he needed to learn what had happened not only because of individual curiosity but to not make the same mistake.

‘If Anika had to do with it, the Holy City would have been in chaos. Someone would remember if there were an uproar.’

Rodrigo thought that he would need to investigate by sending someone to the Holy City soon enough.

***

An aide put an organized list of names on the table.

“I have sent someone to confirm tomorrow’s schedule as well.”

Eugene held the list in her hand and confirmed the six names on it.

“You did good. Prepare for tomorrow.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” The aide bowed and left the room.

Eugene had prepared a light tea party and had invited noblewomen for the event. After coming back from the desert, her first official decision was hosting this party to assess the atmosphere before beginning socializing in earnest. While she had planned the party for yesterday, the trip had taken more time than planned, which led to a delay in the consequent schedule.

The ladies she would meet tomorrow were not famous in social circles, as the notable ladies had not yet returned from the Holy City. About twenty to thirty days would pass after the dry season started before most aristocrats came back, and the socializing could begin in full swing. The women Eugene was going to meet tomorrow were the wives of high-ranking officials. Since their husbands worked in high places, they could not go to the Holy City during the active season. Since they naturally could not follow the Holy City’s latest trends, they were pushed away from the centres of social circles. Therefore, Eugene had heard that many ladies did not like their husbands becoming officials in this kingdom. It was the queen’s duty to console their dissatisfaction, and Eugene chose her primary schedule, something Jin had never done as Queen. Eugene thought of today’s date and lamented after the aide left.