Chapter 62 - Bluff

Start from the beginning

Mad-Eye groaned before adding, "If we haven't found something by now, it's probably not here."

The mystery item was no longer her priority. The sight of her brother's face lingered in her mind, no matter repeated assurances that it wasn't him.

"S-so can we... Can we leave?" Peter voiced.

Moody was staring at Patel's sign before answering, "Aye, won't be of use to search in the dark. Ministry'll probably be back soon anyway."

Jo felt her stomach drop as she was enveloped by the swirling black vortex of her disapparition.

A smiling Sirius welcomed her at the flat when she reopened her eyes. His expression faltered when Jo rushed to throw up in the toilet.

"Blimey, what happened, love?" Sirius questioned, already holding back her hair, and patting her back.

Jo shook her head and let out a nervous chuckle, "Nasty apparition, I guess."

She wasn't sure if she should tell him. He'd probably ask the Order for another break. But it wasn't normal to see your brother as a dead stranger. Nothing had been normal ever since that night in Dumbledore's office. Their lives might have stopped being normal long before. This latest plan was different, though. It felt ultimate. Everything hung on the line, and it didn't sit right with her once she thought it through.

Sirius interrupted her thoughts, "Now tell me what actually happened." He extended his hand to help her up.

As she washed her hands, she said, "We need to talk about being Secret Keepers."

*   *   *   *   *   

"I'll give you all a moment of privacy," the headmaster said with a faint glint in his eye. He stopped to look at his former students for a second before opening the doors to his office.

Sirius spoke up, "Wait, sir! We've thought about it, but one thing keeps popping up. Wouldn't it be obvious if you chose us?" He pointed at James and Lily. Jo was cooing at a transfixed Harry.

Dumbledore stood silent before turning to look at the four young adults, "Hmm, Sirius is right. It seems that is something I have overlooked myself, nonetheless, it is a valid point. Joanna -- and Sirius -- would be the first ones Tom goes to when he starts searching for Harry."

James stuttered, "But we... I trust you guys. Jo and Sirius have kept all my secrets." He awkwardly squished his family between his arms.

Lily reasoned, "Darling, I --as much as you -- know they wouldn't dare tell anyone, but this isn't about trust. Not entirely. It's about our safety."

Her husband opened his mouth to speak before she added, "You want all of us to be safe, right?"

Lily's hand brushed James' arm and his expression softened. He was silent.

The younger witch proposed, "Well Remus is the next best choice. He's reli—" The older Potter had already started nodding his head. Remus would be perfect.

"No," Sirius interjected.

The couple never got to talking about who would replace them. The decision to be replaced had been difficult enough.

Everyone's eyes were on him, "The mission where you and Jo got hurt. Someone told those blokes we were there. The attack at Hogsmeade when he hesitated to disapparate us out of the fire ring..."

"He didn't want you to get splinched," Jo defended, but Sirius persisted, "He didn't get hurt in any one of them. And he was the one who convinced us not to become Aurors. He led the mission for the purple fire so who knows what he told that captain. We don't even know everything he did while he was away."

"Wait. What are you saying, Pads?" James questioned. He took a large swig of the tea offered moments before. Jo had thought it was still too hot to drink.

Sirius shifted his stance, "I'm saying Remus... he could potentially be the mole in the Order..."

James took off his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. Lily was now burping Harry on her shoulder as if it were any other regular day.

"Let's not pretend we don't know there's someone who keeps relaying information to those maniacs, James."

Jo narrowed her eyes, "How come you hadn't brought this up earlier?"

Remus couldn't possibly be the mole. He was their Moony. The one who brings chocolates when you are feeling down. The one who has the tea ready in the morning. The one who gifts you his favorite muggle books that become your own favorites. He was her study buddy. No, he was her best friend. Their best friend. How could Sirius ever think Remus would betray them?

"I dunno. I'm still not sure about it. It can be someone else entirely. But it might be him. I'm just saying we shouldn't take any chances," he rambled and turned to Dumbledore for support.

"Another good point made."

Sirius croaked, "Peter can do it. He's perfect."

Jo tried to shake away her thoughts for the time being and give her boys the benefit of the doubt, "I guess we don't have to tell anyone he's Secret Keeper. We'll let them think it's still going to be us. Create an extra safeguard."

Lily hinted, "A bluff?"

"Aye. It's for the better, Lils." Sirius assured, resting his hand on the red head's shoulder.

"Hold on a second. How is Wormtail supposed to be our best candidate for this? Is there something I'm missing here?" James raised his voice. His teacup was empty and beads of sweat were visible on his temples.

"They won't think of him as the first choice. He's too shy to ever speak up or insinuate anything. Oh c'mon you know how he is,' Sirius explained, clasping tight onto his friend's shoulder.

A bluff, Jo internalized. If Voldemort caught wind of her and Sirius being Secret Keepers... All the things they would do to Sirius. He would get tortured again. New scars would replace the ones that were barely visible now. Jo sat down, softly asking Dumbledore for water while James and Sirius discussed the revised plan. She felt the little arrows again so she watched Sirius. And how he placed his hands on his hips. Those ringed fingers would stroke her hair, and touch her cheek every night before going to sleep. Those rings she loved to play with and borrow to look just as cool as him. She couldn't lose those rings.

Dumbledore had camouflaged with the portraits, not daring to interrupt their brainstorming until a deafening silence blanketed the room, "The choice is ultimately up to you. If you still want Joanna and Sirius to be Secret Keepers they can be." His bespectacled eyes stared at the Potter-Evans.

Lily shifted her stance, with an already burped and sleeping baby in her arms. Her green eyes met James' hazel ones. Jo wished she had taken a picture then. They looked beautiful.

It was too late for the picture when James revealed, "No, you're all right. Peter it is."

A/N: Ahhhh I'm back! I got covid and then had to catch up with schoolwork so I didn't have time to write, but voici! Xx lovelies!