Chapter 18: Speed Mission

Start from the beginning

Feeling sweat starting to wet her back, Nezuko tried her best to prevent her expression from twitching.

"I'm.... something of the sort."

"Hmm, though you're so young?"

Feeling a burning guilt in her heart for telling lies.... Nezuko still managed to keep a straight face as she nodded deeply.

The women looked at each other again.

"Well... if that's the case...."

——A little hesitantly, they told Nezuko about the numerous cases that had occurred in this town; girls suddenly going missing one after another, disappearing without leaving any traces behind them.

"A disappearance just occurred yesterday as well... it was Satoko-san from two blocks ago."

Nezuko gritted her teeth upon hearing that.

"I..... see."

——Damn it.... I was too late...!!

As the girl stayed silent, the youngest looking woman out of the three narrowed her eyes, a little skeptically, at Nezuko.

She stepped in closer and whispered into Nezuko's ear.

"Looking up close like this... you're a girl, are you not?"

"....!?"

——Perhaps fellow women could tell her gender apart easier than men did. However, Nezuko was shocked that her disguise was figured out so easily at the beginning of her very first mission.

Seeing Nezuko's shoulders jump, the woman lowered her eyebrows and said, in a soft voice.

"Be careful. None of the people who disappeared has been found yet. They were all as young as you... exactly, 16 years at age. If you're looking for them.... I really hope you can find those girls."

Nezuko pursed her lips.

The people of this town did not know the fact that a man-eating demon was behind these attacks — therefore they could still have hope that the kidnapped girls were still alive.

But in reality.....

"..........I'll try my best."

As Nezuko said, a dark emotion was seeping into her heart, directed at the brutal, inhumane acts of the demons.

"Oh...."

Another woman let out a short cry, making the two of them turn around.

"There, walking right past us... that's Kazumi-san. He was with Satoko-san, his fiancé, when she was kidnapped."

"Poor man... he looks completely empty..."

Nezuko could immediately identify the man that was mentioned — he was limping down the street, having just passed by Nezuko and the women. The black-haired man was visibly roughened up, as he was bruised on his face, while his brown kimono was dirtied and ripped.

——That's the man... who's fiancé was taken.

Nezuko bowed to the three women, thanking them for their cooperation. Without waiting for their response, she chased after the man.

"——Kazumi-san!!"

As Nezuko called his name, the man turned around with an empty look on his face————