I grinned over at Camila. She was a year younger than me and we’d both won that award as a first year. It was an exclusive little club we’d created.

“And finally, a special award for Excellence in Composition,” the head teacher announced, “The recipient of this award has always been curious about music and making new sounds. Tonight she performed an original piece, the only student to do so… I’d like to congratulate Miss Jessica Rego, and give her the Excellence in Composition award.”

I turned to look at Camila, shocked to be receiving this award. I’d never heard of anyone getting anything like this, and as I stumbled out on the stage, I’m sure my surprise showed on my face.

“Thank you,” I said, giving the head teacher a hug as she passed me a plaque.

“You’re incredible, we’re very proud of you,” she said.

In a daze I wandered back off the stage and out to the main hall for the post-recital reception.

“Jessica!!” Caroline called to me, waving me over frantically. I wandered over to her with my plaque, giving her and then my father a hug, “We’re so proud of you.”

“Thanks!” I grinned, passing her my plaque so she could have a look.

“Seems like you’ve got someone looking for you,” my Dad said, nodding into the crowd. I turned to see Aston stood there sheepishly with a bouquet of roses.

“Let me grab him,” I said, leaving my family and pushing into the crowd.

“Hey you.”

“Hi,” I grinned.

“You were… amazing… perfect… a revelation.”

“Thanks!”

Without another word Aston leaned in and pressed a hot kiss against my lips, leaving me dizzy as I stood there.

“Wow,” I blurted out.

“I love you Jess.”

My heart stopped as he said this. He’d never said those words to me before and I was starting to feel hot and flustered.

“You’re so beautiful and confident, and when you play the piano you mesmerize me. Like I’m in the stars. I love you.”

“I love you too,” I replied with a broad smile, grabbing the lapels of his jacket and kissing him again.

“These are for you,” he laughed as I pulled back and wiped some lipstick off his lips. I took the roses he was holding out for me and grinned, grabbing his hand.

“My family wants to meet you."

“Oh yeah.”

“They’ve been watching."

“Bit awkward,” Aston said, squeezing my hand.

I led Aston over to my Dad and Caroline, introducing them and then going off as a group for a glass of champagne. It was a relief for them to finally meet Aston, and I couldn’t be more pleased that they all got on.

--

Forty-five minutes later and it was just Aston and I, stood in a quiet corner of the room away from the glances of people who clearly recognized Aston.

“Now it’s just us… And the night is still young. What do you fancy doing?” Aston asked.

“Well…” I started, playing with the lapel of his jacket again, “I want to go back to your place.”

“My place?”

“Mmmm…”

“What are we doing at my place?” he asked.

“I don’t know…” I giggled, leaning up and snatching a kiss from his lips.

“You don’t know?” Aston coughed, smirking at me.

“I’m sure we’ll figure something out,” I winked, grabbing his hand and dragging him straight out the building.

It took less than twenty minutes from arriving at Aston’s house to be wrapped up in the sheets, making love for the first time.

It was like nothing I’d ever experienced before. I didn’t want to rush it. I wanted to savor every second of it, to remember every little detail, and to feel all the love that was rushing between us.

“I’m so in love with you,” Aston sighed as he pulled me into his arms later that night, our bodies exhausted yet satiated.

“I love you too.”

“For real Jess… you’re the one.”