Chapter Six: Phil Pines

Ever since that fateful day at my father's plantation, Benedict and I were steadily growing closer. And when I mean closer, I mean Benedict was slowly becoming more and more like himself. We had begun running together in the morning, and he would slow down for me, something I think he would not have done before. He would usually keep himself to his own thoughts, unaware of his surroundings, but he now is a little more alert and accepting of the situation between us. Henry visits often too.       

  I was sitting in the sun room with one of the books I had taken with me from my room back at my father's plantation. It was an early February morning, and the house seemed alive and bustling with the staff around. I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and flipped the page, but my mind was not entirely absorbed in the book. Across from me sat Benedict, rifling through his morning paper. His brown hair was growing longer, I noted when I was studying him. His lips were becoming chapped as well. He scratched the stubble on his jaw and rolled his neck lazily. 

"Take a picture, it'll last longer," he suggested, glancing up at me. I looked down at my book again, the blush creeping up my face evident to the both of us. Fortunately, I wouldn't have to bask in my embarrassment longer than I needed to. Rebecca came in, her blond hair up in a strict bun--similar to Miss Burton's--and her light blue uniform pressed without wrinkle. She signed to me that breakfast was ready, and that I looked pretty in the morning. I signed back a thank you with a grin, closing my book and laying it on the couch. Before I turned to Benedict to tell him breakfast was ready, Rebecca handed me an envelope and left the room. I glanced at Benedict before tearing open the envelope and unfolding the letter. 

            California. -Phil Pines

        I paled before shoving it in my pocket.

        "Benedict," I croaked. He looked up at me, worry clouding his face. 

        "What's the matter?" 

         I waved it off. "Breakfast. Ready. I'm on my period so..."

         He grimaced before exiting the sun room. "I'll get China to get some medicine for you."

         I nodded, my hands growing sweaty. I wiped them on the sweater I was wearing and followed him to the kitchen. Colonel grinned at us. "Good mornin', love birds! On today's menu is eggs Benedict (he winked at Benedict), chocolate pancakes per Mrs. Benedict's request, and bacon."

        Benedict settled down on one of the high chairs, patting the seat next to him. I joined him obediently and piled two pancakes on my plate. "Bacon?"

        Benedict picked up the crunchy red sliver curiously. "What is... bacon?"

        Colonel nearly dropped his frying pan. "You don't know what bacon is!? It's good!"

        My husband gingerly took a bite, shoving the rest of it in his mouth when he realized how good it tasted. I chuckled, reaching over and placing some...bacon on my plate as well. "Is it good?"

       He merely grunted, taking some eggs as well before digging in. Miss Burton came in the room then, her jaw dropping slightly to see the mess Benedict had made of himself. She shook her head and handed Colonel his paycheck. "See to it that you do not lose it this time, Mr. Graham."

      He winked at her. "Course not, Miss Burt'n. Can't have your panties in a twist all o'er again, right?"

       Her face blushed with embarrassment and fury, her mouth pulled into a tight frown. "My panties are not in a twist!"

       She huffed and exited the room quickly, her boot heels clacking against the wooden floor. Colonel rolled his eyes, taking a bite of bacon from Benedict's plate. He growled. The chef groaned. "Not you too, sir!"

       I sat in the middle of the bed, knees folded Indian style and my elbows resting on my knees. My hands were clasped together under my chin as I stared at the three-worded letter lying on the bed. I had no plans today, so maybe I could investigate. I shook my head furiously, stuffing the letter under the mattress and lying down. No, I couldn't. 

       "Edith, I'm going out with Jane and Bryce to the...does it hurt that much?" Benedict asked, striding over to my side to look down at me. I huffed, turning on my side. 

        "I'm just tired, that's all. I'll see you later?"

        "Don't be so distraught I'm leaving, Wifey!" he exclaimed sarcastically. He patted my side before leaving me alone, shutting the door behind him gently. I sat up in a hurry, slipping on my boots and peering out the door. 

         "I won't be gone long, Colonel! Prepare more of that bacon for dinner!" Benedict called as he left. I tiptoed down the stairs and peered out the window as he left with Henry in the backseat with him. 

           "Miss him already, Miss Edith?" China asked slyly. I whirled around to look at her.

           "China!"

            She had a basket of laundry balanced on her hip, her mouth tugged in a knowing smile. I held up my hands in mock surrender. "You've got me. I miss him already. I'm going out shopping for a little gift for him, so would you mind calling a chauffeur in about fifteen minutes?"

        "Yes, ma'am. Will you be needing any help?"

        I shook my head quickly. "No, thank you. It'll be a small gift."

        "Small. I get it," China winked at me and continued on her way. I blushed when I realized what she probably thought of. A car pulled into the driveway and I swiftly ran out to meet it.

"Take me to this address, please," I handed the driver a scrap of paper. He skimmed over it and glanced at me. "The one on Ripley?"

        I nodded, leaning back and letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding. The scenery blurred past me as I looked out the window. The driver looked at me again. "No Master today, Princess?"

        I shook my head dully. "He went out with Henry today."

        "What brings you to--I'm sorry. I must not pry."

        I smiled easily at him to dissolve his nervousness. "I'm visiting a friend and buying my husband a gift."

        He clicked his tongue, pulling the car over once we reached our destination. "You be careful, miss. I'll wait out here for you."

I thanked him and exited the car, slamming the door shut behind me as I looked up at the sign of the store. California. It was a rustic shop that sold various odds and ends that were bound to be bought by someone someday. The vintage shop was my haven. Phil Pines knew that. I furrowed my brow in confusion. But Phil Pines didn't exist. He was a character I fabricated to Benedict to assure him that my love life was healthy and existent. Shuddering at the thought that it might be a prank, I pushed open the door hesitantly and stepped inside. Chimes alerted the store of my presence. Benedict had gone on to meet Henry. Other than Henry, only one other person knew about Phil Pines.

        "Good afternoon, Crown Princess," a familiar voice purred. I turned shakily to my left and cried out in shock. 

         "Adella," I breathed as she came closer. She smirked, resting her hands on her slightly swelling stomach. 

         "Call me a mother, my dear."