22 • "Swooped By The Wind"

Start from the beginning

"Thank you..."
I stared at my feet that poked out of the blankets.

"So," Venti began, "I caught wind that Chief Alchemist Albedo will be taking over your job for the time being?"

"Yes, yes...For the time being..."

"Man, I wonder how we will celebrate my birthday next week." Venti smiled.

"Ah, the main venue will definitely be the Angel's Share Tavern, you drunk bard." I punched his arm.

"Ehe, you know me so well, Luminescent Knight!" He winked.

"...I wonder if Master Jean will overwork herself again, thanks to my absence...?" I stared at, nothing in particular, as I softly spoke my mind, "It's not good to keep yourself with work when it's the Anemo Archon's birthday."

"I wouldn't want any of you to work for my birthday either, to be honest..." Venti put his feet up on the bed, resting his head on his knees, "Even when I don't govern this nation, the people still worship me."

"But that's because they choose to. That's their freedom..." I looked at him, "Isn't that what you wanted in the first place?"

He let out a laugh, "Ahah, true that, true that. . ."

"I'll make sure Albedo can organise the best birthday you will ever experience."

He smiled, "Thank you, (Y/N)."

And it all fell quiet again.

I must've felt obliged to cut off the silence.

"...I feel bored."

"Bored? Well..." Venti wondered, before his eyes suddenly lit up and snapped his fingers.

"Let's play a game." He grinned widely, "It'll be a fun one, trust me!"

"Sure then. Go on." I nodded.

"Right then. Ahem,"

"I spy with my little eyes,
Something that begins with ' Y '!"

"I spy? Classic." My eyes darted around to room, looking for an object that meets the criteria.

"Hmm...I'm not very sure. Yeast...?" I pointed to a plate of bread on another patient's side table.

"Oh, not quite. Want to give it another go?"

"Not really. Not a lot of things that start with that letter here..." I sighed in defeat.

"Ahem!"

"Whatever is true,
The answer is ' You '!"

He gestured to the sketched portrait of me that leaned against the wall on the table.

"Aha...I consider that a trick question. Another one, bard!" I laughed.

"Hmm..." He scanned the room, "Ahem,"