Shouta sucked in a breath before leaning down to check her pulse. Nothing. He sighed before standing back up and continuing down the hall, where he heard quick, heavy breathing. Shouta got his capture weapon ready as soon as he heard sparks of electricity. At the end of the hall was a door to the stairwell, so he walked to the door. He was about to open the door when  a small voice from the other side piped up.

"Wait! Stop!" the voice begged,"don't touch the door or you'll get hurt!" Shouta could tell that the child had been crying and obeyed.

"Hey, kid. My name is EraserHead. I'm a hero and I can help. But if I can't touch the door, then I need you to come into the hallway, okay?"

"I can't. All I'll do is hurt people. Papa was right."

Shit, this kid has been through something. Shouta paused while figuring out what to say next.

"It's okay, kid. If you're scared about hurting me, don't worry. I have a quirk that can turn off other people's quirks. If you could just crack open the door so I can see you, then I can turn off your quirk, okay?"

There was a long pause before the voice answered. "...okay..."

The door knob turned slowly and opened just a crack. As soon as the child was visible, Shouta activated his quirk. The electricity stopped and the kid opened the door more to see the hero who had helped her. She looked like she was about to cry before immediately passing out.

Shouta acted fast to catch the little girl before she hit the ground. The poor kid must've gone through some extreme stress and quirk exhaustion. He quickly reached up to his earpiece while standing with the child in his arms. He pressed a button and spoke.

"Tsukauchi, I have the target. It was a little girl who seems to have gone through some shit. As soon as I cancelled her quirk she passed out. Also, I found a woman up here. She didn't have a pulse, though. I'm coming out now with the kid."

"Good work. Backdraft has just finished putting out the fires, so I'll send him and a few officers to finish evacuation." The feed cut out and Shouta quickly made his way back to the window he entered, and slowly made his way down the side of the building with the little girl in his arms. He handed her off to a paramedic before turning around to see a boy, maybe fifteen, with green hair sprinting towards them.

Shouta ran to cut off the kid before he could pass the yellow caution tape. The boy didn't stop and tried to push past him, but Shouta was able to hold him back. The kid was crying and tried to escape Shouta's hold.

"Stop! You have to let me go! I have to find my mom!" Then it clicked. That woman in the hallway was probably this kid's mom. 

Shouta firmly held the kids shoulders and knelt down in front of him. "Kid, slow down. Breath with me." The kid started following Shouta's breathing pattern and seemed to be calm enough to talk. "Okay, kid. what's your name?"

The kid looked terrified and exhausted, perhaps he had some mild speed quirk. "Izuku Midoriya." "Good. You can call me EraserHead. Now, what is your mom's name?" "Inko Midoriya. Is she okay?"

Shouta was about to say something when the kid's eyes widened and pushed past him, bolting towards the green-haired woman.

Oh no.

________________________________________________________________________________

Izuku's mind was racing as he turned the corner and saw a horrifying sight. Half of his apartment building was smoking like a fire had just been put out, and there were police scattered everywhere among ambulances. Izuku pushed himself to run even faster towards the building.

If only he had stayed home. Then maybe this wouldn't have happened. Izuku was barely able to push those thoughts away and focused on one thing, finding his mom as quickly as possible.

Izuku wasn't even paying attention as he ran into who he assumed was a hero. The hero was was holding Izuku back as he tried to escape. At this point, Izuku was crying as his thoughts raced to the worst possible scenario. 

Izuku continued to thrash, "Stop! You have to let me go! I have to find my mom!" He started to hyperventilate. The man just looked shocked and a little... sad? Oh no. No. No. The hero grabbed Izuku's shoulder and bent down.

"Kid, slow down. Breath with me." Izuku obeyed and matched his breathing to the hero's as best as he could. He started to panic again but the hero cut off his thoughts before they could start again. "Okay, kid. What's your name?" Izuku took a deep breath before answering, "Izuku Midoriya."

The hero nodded, "Good. You can call me EraserHead. Now, what's your mom's name?" Izuku felt his eyes start to well up at the question. "Inko Midoriya" He saw EraserHead breath in like he was about to start talking again but Izuku's eyes caught onto something. A woman with long green hair like his and the pink cardigan his mom was wearing before he'd left being rolled away on a gurney. As soon as he was sure of who was on the bed, he bolted out of EraserHead's hold before the hero could even start his sentence. 

As he ran he ignored the police's orders to stay away from the area. Izuku didn't care, he needed to help his mom. Izuku caught up to the paramedics taking his mom to an ambulance and grabbed one by the shoulder. 

"Hey, is she gonna be okay!?"

The paramedic calmly turned around to look at the boy. She took a few glances between Izuku and his mom before finally making the connection. Her eyes started to well as she looked at the kid. "Kid, your mom sustained a high voltage of electricity that stopped her heart. Right now we are doing the best we can but there is not a good chance that she'll pull through."

Izuku stopped and fell to his knees. No, that couldn't be right. His mom was fine. His mom was alive. Everything was going to be fine. This was all just a dream that would end any second. 

But it never did. He never woke up. Izuku couldn't do anything but sit there and cry. He was vaguely aware that the ambulance never turned on it's siren as it left. His mom was gone and there was nothing he could do about it. Nothing would ever be the same without her in Izuku's life.

After a few minutes, Izuku felt a presence walk up behind him. It was the hero from before, EraserHead. He slowly brought Izuku up to his feet and pulled him into a hug.

"Ki-Izuku? Is there anywhere you can stay?" Izuku knew he wouldn't be able to respond, so instead he just shook his head. He heard EraserHead sigh, "It's okay kid. Everything's gonna be fine." Izuku knew the truth. Nothing was every going to be fine anymore.

He finally spoke up,"You're wrong," his voice cracked,"Nothing's gonna be alright. Not anymore." Maybe he wasn't supposed to be a hero. Maybe Kacchan was right and wasn't even supposed to be alive.

And with that, Izuku ran. He ran as  fast as he could as far as he could away from everything. 

{A/N  Man that was a doozy. Like jeez what a way to start a book am I right? In all seriousness, I apologize in advance for all the angst in this story. I can't wait to see where this goes.}