Marcus is the first to notice me, his handsome features slipping into a look of curiosity before his face brightens pleasantly. “Hey Caleb!” He greets, causing the boy next to him to snap into attention. Collins blue eyes dig into my flesh. “Hey Marcus, is it alright if I borrow Caleb for a second?” I ask shifting nervously under the gazes that are all places on me in curiosity.

“Oh?” Marcus asks in surprise looking over at Collin before smiling and nodding, “Of course!” Collin stands and walks over to me, when he gets closer I turn and lead him away from prying ears. We stop by the doors to the lunchroom, and Collin digs his hands into his pockets in reserve.

“So, what’s up have you decided to stop being a bitch?” He questions training his eyes onto me.

The way he speaks to me makes me jerk in annoyance, “Collin I wasn’t being a bitch, you hurt me!”

Collin rolls his eyes lazily, “Yeah whatever, just because you’re so weak your bones are like peanut brittle doesn’t mean that I was trying to hurt you.”

Deciding that the boy in front of me is a lost cause I sigh, “Whatever it doesn’t matter, that’s not why I wanted to talk to you.”

Collin looks at me curiously his normally apathetic features suddenly turning into a look of childlike curiosity.

“Really, why then?” He inquires crossing his arms over his chest, in a manner that seems almost protective.

This is it. This is where I bring it crashing down on him, and break his heart, or piss him off. I can’t decide which one it will be. Shuffling my feet nervously I look at the floor before bringing my eyes up to steadily look at him. I can’t show him weakness, wouldn’t he like that? Wouldn’t he like knowing that I’m scared of him? “I want to break up.”

The words leave my mouth before I even realized I was saying them, and for a moment I stand in shock at myself. Did I really say it that fast? Was it really that easy? Collin stares at me for a moment in disbelief, “What?”

“I want to break up.” I say more assuredly then before, and the sudden feeling of empowerment makes me stand up a little straighter, “I want to end our relationship.”

Collin trembles. Now this is when he flips out, he’s going to shove me on the ground, he’s going to punch me in the face, he’s going to swear at me and call me a whore. This is what I suspect, but the look that crosses Collins face is nothing that I imagined it would be. The boy’s face contorts into a childlike face of abandonment, and I see tears shining in his eyes.

“Collin-”I start reaching my hand out to him, but as soon as I speak it’s as if my voice breaks the spell. Collins face contorts into a look of pure hate, and he slaps my hand away from him.

“Don’t fucking touch me!” He hisses, then before I can respond he storms out the doors, rushing swiftly down the hallway. As soon as he Collin is gone Marcus is standing next to me, “What happened?” He orders, a look of worry and something else that is far from brotherly concern displaying itself on his face.

Not wanting to out my ex I just shrug, Marcus glares at me in fury before dashing out the door after Collin. When he’s gone I’m still standing there, in mental shock. What the hell just happened? Did I just make Collin cry? It was hard to say, because as soon as he let any emotion show he had thrown up another wall, a wall of sheer hate.

“What was that?” Sadie asks, trotting over to me, Jason at her hip.

“I-I have no idea.” I whisper under my breath, still starring down the corridor after the two boys. Everything seemed ten times more confusing now than it had before. In my eyes Collin had always seemed like a happy guy, until his true colors came out, but even then he had just seemed apathetic and constantly annoyed, nothing like the wounded boy that had been standing next to me moments before.