viii. under pressure

Start from the beginning

          Rosalie rolled her eyes, making the nausea worse. "How did you even get here?"

          The blonde blinked innocently as though there was nothing wrong about the whole situation, like she wasn't doing anything bad. Invading Rosalie's privacy, for example. Or trespassing, or being a borderline stalker. No biggie. She said in the same sugary tone, "Stop pretending like you don't know what's wrong."

          "I'm not pretending," Rosalie spat, her voice dripping with threat. Really, the fact that she could still string sentences without insulting someone impressed her. "Leave me alone, I don't even know who you are."

           "Willow." She offered, not phased by the Monet's snappy mood. Rosalie heard footsteps, and the bed springs soon creaked. This Willow had some nerve: showing up unannounced, providing unwanted observations, invading her room...

          "Hi, Willow." Rosalie sarcastically replied, like a group of first graders would've greeted a new student in class. "Good bye, Willow."

          "Uh huh, someone's feeling cheery. C'mon, you can do better. Think, Rosalie."

          Her jaw tensed at that familiar sentence, with it a myriad of memories she weren't fond of. Her voice was deathly calm as she spoke. "Go away."

           Before Rosalie could say anything else, the ground shiftedㅡliterally, this time. One moment she was panting and angry in her childhood bedroom, then she was standing in the middle of a forest in the next.

          A walk in the woods seemed like a good idea earlier that morning. The sun was high and mighty in the light blue sky, which donned clouds of white to keep the harsh heat balanced. Birds were chirping, the breeze was cool, and there wasn't a single problem on her mind.

          Everything was just right.

         And she was rightㅡit had been a very entertaining morning, to say the least. Berries were picked, fishes were caught, bellies were full, and so much laughter was shared. Warmth was all she felt during the gathering. They were always so welcoming and kind, it was hard to believe how nothing had changed after the ceremony. If anything, their affections had been intensified. The brunette didn't think that was even possible, and all the nights she had spent worrying about damaging their friendship were rendered useless.

          The leaves crunched under her feet as she walked, warm shades of orange on the forest floor. She was still smiling when a pair of arms encircled her waist, her back being pressed against a warm chest that rumbled with laughter. "Guess who," he said, voice playful before he nipped her ear.

          She burst out laughing at the sensation, and tried to escape his hold. "I don't know, Kol, is that you?"

          He ran his tongue at the sensitive skin of her neck, eliciting a surprised shriek from the brunette. She playfully pushed his face away, their laughs blending together.

          "It's crazy, isn't it?" He asked, still holding her in an embrace with his chin propped on her shoulder. The brunette leaned back, eyes closed as she hummed contentedly. "What is?" she replied.

           It was a different voice that replied, belonging to someone who was also dear to her; but it held a foreboding that sent a chill down her spine, the kind that made her skin crawl.