Khushi

It was after he had read that letter that he completely lost it. How dare she? His rage knew no bounds as he threw the envelope across the room, the notes flying out in different directions. His hand swept across the surface of the dresser, its content smashing to the ground here and there and when he spotted a shiny little dot on the mirror and realized that it was her bindi, he took a vase that was close and threw it into the mirror, splintering it into a million tiny pieces. He paced the room like a man possessed. He looked at the immaculately made up bed and pulled out the sheet and threw the pillows on the floor. He could never sleep on that bed. F!@#! he could not stay in this room. He saw her everywhere. He could smell her fragrance. He could hear the khan- khan of her bangles and the tinkling of her payal. She had ruined everything. He walked out of the room his bags in his hands. He needed to get away from here!

More than 400 Kms away somewhere in the outskirts of Lucknow, Khushi sat on a cot in the small, dingy room that was her cell since the morning. She had no more tears left in her eyes. Her thoughts went back to the events of previous night. After the birth of the baby, she had wished everyone and had excused herself to go back home to arrange for some food. She had not returned after that. She had gone home and packed her bags quietly. Shyam had come sometime later and had taken her to the bus station and together, they had caught a bus to Lucknow. After reaching Lucknow they had taken a taxi to reach the outskirts, where Shyam had deposited her in this small house owned by an old couple. Shyam had left right after, promising to return soon. The couple had not asked any questions as they showed her to the small room in which she was currently locked up in. The old lady had given her some lunch and then finally some dinner which she had left untouched.

She didn't know what Shyam was trying to achieve by bringing her here. She didn't even care anymore. When she had found out that he was responsible for her dad's condition, for Di's accidents and then finally Arnav's fall from the cliff, she had made up her mind right away. The look in his eyes had told her that this monstrosity would continue unless she gave in to his demands. What else could she do? There was no proof of the evil things he had done. The only eye witness was her dad who couldn't talk. And when the most important person in her life didn't believe her, who would?

She knew Di would be extremely hurt when she found out. Especially, knowing that she had been silent even after Anjali had confided her doubts to her in Musoorie. But Anjali was better off without Shyam. She had a new life to look forward to – as a mother to the most beautiful baby. Arnav would help her recover from her trauma.

The other members of the family would be shocked at first, but they will eventually erase her from their lives like an old unpleasant memory. Arnav would make sure of that.

Arnav would handle everything - because he was the one person who knew that it was actually a good riddance. He would convince the entire family that they were better off without them.

The people who would be most hurt would be her mother, father, Buaji and Payal. This was the second time, the first being her hurried marriage to Arnav. At that time, standing on the threshold of the Raizada mansion, her Buaji had told her she had proved that she was not their own blood. But eventually they had forgiven and forgotten. This time there would be none. But still, she knew they will be okay; they had Payal – the good daughter who would manage to salvage their honour.

And finally Arnav - she dared not get into what he was thinking. But, she would rather have him think this way than not have him exist in this world.

**

The next day, the Raizada family assembled at the breakfast table, an awkward silence filling the air as they ate. Everyone was perplexed and worried about the events that had taken place in the last couple of days. 'Akash, where is Chotte? Did he not return from the hospital last night?' asked Naniji, her forehead creased in concern.