1

Four years.

Four years since the war ended.

Four years since what everyone thought was inescapable became escapable.

Four years of everything changing for the better.

Yet, four years of Hermione feeling like shit. Feeling like nothing was ever worth it anymore yet here she was, standing in the middle of the Wizengamot, making her claims and statements and possibilities for werewolves and elves, who all deserved their equal rights and feelings of respect.

The rest of the room looked at her like she was right out of her mind for the statements she was making for magical creatures. Clearly, she worked for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures for a good damn reason. Hermione didn't choose that job just for the fun of it. She chose it because someone needed to stand up for all those creatures and she desired it deeply in her being.

There was also a small part—the tiniest atom particle—where she only did it because everyone else in the Wizarding World expected it out of her. They expected the Golden Girl to take care of those creatures because nobody else gave a damn.

She inhaled sharply through her nose and slightly rolled her eyes back as she listened to the Chief Warlock go on and on about how the creatures deserved what they go through and there wouldn't be that much of a change happening if he approved of her claims.

It was always the same response and explanation. She heard it too many times to count since she started working at the Ministry three years ago. At that point, Hermione just let his rambling go in one ear and out the other. It was pointless, the whole situation she was in at that moment.

"Miss Granger."

This is a waste of my time. Everything is a waste of my time. Nothing makes sense. So much for listening to the Golden Girl.

"Miss Granger."

I'm tired. I want to go home. Why am I even here?

"Miss Granger."

Nobody cares for anything anymore. Only the things that make the Ministry and Minister look good and our useless awards. Even though we won, why am I so exhausted? Why is it that the things I'm doing, isn't enough for me?

"Miss Granger."

I hope Ron's alright. I have to talk to him tonight and end things...Oh God, I hope he'll be alright. It's Ron.

Hermione blew air though her nose out of amusement as a small smile appeared on her face.

It's Ron. He'll be okay. We'll be okay. We're better off as friends anyway and it's too soon for the both of us.

She shrugged her shoulders to confirm and calm down her own thoughts.

God, he's still going on and on about his reasons. I'm tired. I really want to leave. Maybe I could just walk out, and it would be over, just like that. I need something new in my life. A new book? Maybe. A new bag? Never mind, I don't know. I just need—

"MISS GRANGER!"

Hermione jumped back at the force of the voice and her inner monologue quickly vanished. She looked up directly at the Chief Warlock and in that moment, realized he had been calling her name for the past minute.

"I—" She shook her head and took a step back. "I'm so sorry about that. You were saying?"

The latter rolled his eyes and asked, "Is there anything else I could do for you?"