Eight - Lawyers

Depuis le début

"I can get you a copy of my portfolio from my financial partner," Jeong Hyeok assured him, digging into his food. God, he was starving.

"That would be helpful. Do you know off-hand what it's worth?"

"Off-hand," Jeong Hyeok replied dismissively, swallowing a bite full of chicken and cashews. "I'd say my personal assets are just shy of $200 million."

Hong coughed, a spray of soda escaping his lips before he could get his hand up to cover his mouth.

"Need a napkin, Hyung?" Seung Joon asked, handing one to the man.

Hong looked at his partner, "Are you sure you don't want me kowtowing?"

Seung Joon smiled, "Jeong Hyeok is family," he replied, slapping Jeong Hyeok on the back. "He's not going anywhere."

"Right," Hong said, "Well, finances aren't everything of course, but it certainly helps."

"This isn't about money," Jeong Hyeok said, leaning back in his chair.

"It's never about money unless you don't have any," the lawyer replied.

"True. But I just want what's best for my daughter. I'll take care of her financially, no matter what. Se Ri will probably resist taking child support though."

"Is she wealthy too?" Hong asked, clearly wondering why else a woman would turn down money from a wealthy baby daddy.

"There's some family money, but she doesn't take that either. She prefers to earn her keep."

"And she does what now?"

"She's a freelance journalist, though she'd been struggling to find work last time I knew. She was planning to write a book as well."

"So her income is-- intermittent, at best?"

"It was nine months ago. I haven't had a chance to catch up on her career yet. I do know she's living at home with her parents."

"And home is where?"

"Seodaemun-gu."

"And do you have a residence set up here yet?"

Jeong Hyeok shook his head. "We have a few family houses, but nothing I'd call home."

"Well, for starters, I suggest you use Seoul as your primary residence. It will be generally easier for a joint custody setting."

"I guess I should be house hunting in Seoul soon then."

"Great," Hong replied, jotting some notes down on a legal pad. "Being able to provide a stable home for your daughter is essential. It seems you'll be able to do that. Is there anything else I should know about you that might call that into question? Mental health issues? Legal troubles?"

"Nothing on record," Seung Joon answered for Jeong Hyeok, leaning back in his chair with a laugh.

"Meaning?" Hong asked, eyebrows raised.

"Youthful indiscretions," Jeong Hyeok clarified. "A few misdemeanours... all expunged from my record. So did she."

"Wait... what did you guys do?"

Seung Joon laughed, "It should've been 'what you guys didn't do', right?"

"Oh, shut up! You and Seo Dan were there too," Jeong Hyeok chuckled. "We went for a joyride." he continued.

"Define 'joyride'" Hong prodded.

"Oh please, we were young. My lawyers got me off a technicality." Jeong Hyeok said.